1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
seconded

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,052 Posts
Normally I would support those who don't quite get it right as finishing anything is a real result .However carnival cars are a different matter .

To me it shows that if enough people see a style about they will jump on the bandwagon with no idea of the ideas /reasoning behind the original concept.

Like Ford back in the 80's selling ready customised Mk 5 Cortinas ( when their take on the style had already had its day ) or the latest satin black offerings from Aston Martin etc.

Just like the latest trend amongst fwd guys to buy a new bonnet , paint strip and cover in sea water they simply don't understand that TRUE patina is about wear and survival ( but instant gratification doesn't allow for that ).

So it follows that 'rat ' rods must have rats on them and so rats go with the gory etc and next we have plastic severed heads ,look our for day glo dog shite next...hang on .......

·
Banned
489 Posts
Kev those satin black Astons aren't painted, its sticky backed vinyl believe it or not !!! There is a firm in london that will do any car for £1500 and its bloody good too, fooled me the first time i saw it.

Normally I would support those who don't quite get it right as finishing anything is a real result .However carnival cars are a different matter .

To me it shows that if enough people see a style about they will jump on the bandwagon with no idea of the ideas /reasoning behind the original concept.

Like Ford back in the 80's selling ready customised Mk 5 Cortinas ( when their take on the style had already had its day ) or the latest satin black offerings from Aston Martin etc.

Just like the latest trend amongst fwd guys to buy a new bonnet , paint strip and cover in sea water they simply don't understand that TRUE patina is about wear and survival ( but instant gratification doesn't allow for that ).

So it follows that 'rat ' rods must have rats on them and so rats go with the gory etc and next we have plastic severed heads ,look our for day glo dog shite next...hang on .......

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,052 Posts
Saw a Peugeot something other max car down here done in the latest trick. That's also some form of vinyl covering but you can also have it lumpy, like badly applied matt black underseal ??

When part sof what we do becomes mainstream it's time to think again ( IMO of course )

·
Registered
215 Posts
although to me the whole ethos of building a hot rod is that you build it out of what you have lying around/can scrounge of mates, i just dont buy into signing a cheque for £25k worth of new shiny bits and bolting them together, that's kit car to me, it might be awesome looking but it's still a kit car..

Now that thing up there at the top of the page looks like something thats been nailed together out of salvaged bit and the leftovers from years of car building, it's a long way from right 'yet', BUT imagine it on a decent set of tall wheels with crossplies and with body channeled over the chassis so it sits real low, lower the rad. then pull all the (probably tongue in cheek) crap of it and it'd look pretty cool imho...

·
Banned
489 Posts
If only it did all bolt together mate :pmsl: noticed your in bradfield do you know Paul Henwood ???

although to me the whole ethos of building a hot rod is that you build it out of what you have lying around/can scrounge of mates, i just dont buy into signing a cheque for £25k worth of new shiny bits and bolting them together, that's kit car to me, it might be awesome looking but it's still a kit car..

Now that thing up there at the top of the page looks like something thats been nailed together out of salvaged bit and the leftovers from years of car building, it's a long way from right 'yet', BUT imagine it on a decent set of tall wheels with crossplies and with body channeled over the chassis so it sits real low, lower the rad. then pull all the (probably tongue in cheek) crap of it and it'd look pretty cool imho...

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,052 Posts

I agree that I like to see the builder in the finished car and that is so often missing. Noithing wrong with the quality or finish of many cars just nothing of the builders soul reflected in the work..and that applies to trad as well as street . I feel we have very much lost the ethos of rodding in the need to conform or be part of the latest trend / have this weeks trickest ( purchased ) part .

I don't think the crap is tongue in cheek, I'd say yes if it were on a car that show sthe style is understood .

No matter what you assemble / how you build or what it costs you still need style and that will show no matter what the budget.

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts

So, what you're basically saying is take the body shell and bulid a totally different car with it? (or am I missing the point). I suspect this car was built with the main intention of pee-ing off the purists.

·
Registered
215 Posts
We'll I'm never sure weather people who try to 'pee of the purists' are doing it for the right reasons or not, but either way anyone who gets actually properly offended by someone elses car is probably taking life a bit to seriously, thats not to say you can't say 'look at this piece of ****' and have a laugh about it, just i cant see the point of getting really worked up over someone who's deliberately trying to wind you up when they're the mug who has built an ugly car to do it!

Regards my previous comment, i didnt mean thatspending 25k on a rod build was wrong it costs as much or as little as you want it to (or more likely how much you have) just that i think building a rod from almost purley catalogue bought parts is missing the point a bit...

And i dont think you need to build another car from that shell like i said just channel the body majorly drop the rad and change the wheels then remove all the shit, i could do that in a month of evenings withought spending a fortune, it hardly equates to building a new car...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts