Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting ready to fit the new 350 into the truck and the instructions for starting state that Rotella should be used for 1st 500 - 1000 miles then an oil change to "normal" oil.

1) I cannot get hold of "Rotella" anywhere other than the USA

2) Whats "Normal"

Depending on who I talk to I get no answer to No 1, but when Normal is discussed I am getting different info.. some say use the classic with zinc oil and others are saying use normal everyday synthetic or semi synthetic as these engines use disposable oil filters and so I need oil with "suspension" properties.

Its a nightmare.. dont want to damage the engine during bedding in.

TrOjAn

·
I'm a grown up drunk!
2,662 Posts
Pretty sure that Rotella is a diesel oil which is high in zinc and so it's recommended to help protect your new motor whilst breaking in the cam (assuming its a flat tappet cam?)

Dont bother with any of those synthetic type oils, well not on for the initial fireup,
if you change over to synthetic you may experience a drop in oil pressure?

for now just use a good quality mineral oil around 20/50 weight and add one of those compcams or similar small bottles of cam additive which contains the missing zinc from new oils,
then fire up and follow the cam break in procedure which is to generally run the engine at varying revs between 2-3k for 20-30mins,
assuming all is good then change oil and filter after about 500 or so miles:tup:

·
Stroker
5,556 Posts
I use Valvoline VR1 20/50 plus half a bottle of additive now sbc is run in. :tup:
Used whole bottle during run in etc.

I got spooked by the issues of sbc cams so warmed block up, put hot water in and put oil container into bucket of scalding water. :D

(I had earlier got some Slick 50 for general use but understand it's the wrong slippy (and can also fight the way all the other additives work) won't coat metal like zinc, can get scrubbed off or summat and theres a bloody slippery balance needed as the followers are designed to rotate to prevent em going concave!?)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Shell Rotella T = API CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF, SL, SJ, SH

Mobil Delvac-1 = API CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF, SJ, SH

Amsoil = API CH-4, CG-4, CF-2, CF, SJ, SH

Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme = API CH-4, SL, ACEA E-5.
You need to check the API spec to get the correct oil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.