Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing a 400ci SBC and want to fit an oil cooler , have the block adapter which I believe has 1/2" bsp in/outs. Loooking at various fittings today and all seemed so bloody big and told I need 1/2" bore pipe! Is this correct or can I adapt down to something smaller? Was asked what would be the flow rate and pressure as that would determine pipe size, can someone answer that for me please.
Also as I'm going to have a water rad custom made could I have the oil cooler built in same as auto trans ones are?
All advice/answers appreciated.
Bumper

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
I always go for external trans cooler then the engine does not effect the trans if it over heats,the block cooler pipe seem large are you sure they mean 1/2" bore not 1/2"bsp as that seems big.Also see if there's a kit floating around in the net.

·
Lost in the ozone. . ....
3,029 Posts
I have just installed a new cooler, adapter and plumbing to my Camaro.
I started off with rubber hose, very thick walled, which over the
years deteriorated.
Went to thinner walled hose, burnt through it with my new headers.
I´m now using AN fittings and -10AN hose.
The "trans cooler" in the radiator is a hotter upper, gets the trans to operating temp quicker.
I have also just added AN fittings and new cooler/filter setup to my transmission.
Both systems are controlled by 180º thermostats.
I can drive all day and my trans will not get up to 180 to even crack the thermostat, they let 5% oil through until temp is reached then open fully.
I´ll include pics of that as well.

The trans side. This uses -6AN fittings.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
If your fittings are indeed 1/2"BSP I would keep the hose 1/2" bore too, I can supply S/S braided PTFE hoses to do the job... These are designed to take high temperatures and will withstand 'external' heat too, I can make them with S/S swaged ends to your specs/lengths etc...

BUT please make sure that they are BSP, not NPT.

I also wouldn't have the 'combined' radiator, have two or three seperate ones (water/trans/oil)...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts