Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i have a oil cooler on me moggie been on there for 1yr no problems so just wanna help anyone else out and put my mind in peace haha

is there a right way to mount them EG
with the pipes at the top so the cooler always has oil in
with pipes at the bottom so it drains it .....

pipes at the top would then act like a dirt bottle dropping shit thick oil at the bottom and blocking a row (bowl effect) OR
pipes at the bottom would have a traped air area and would maybe only use half the stacks (10 row but uses only 5rows)

SO Pros and cons what is your opinions
thanks Ash

·
Lost in the ozone. . ....
3,029 Posts
B/M state in their instructions that the oil should go into the lower port first, out the top.
Cooler may be mounted with the inlet/outlet to the left or right never facing down.
This how mine is setup.

·
3,029 Posts
Here you go, finally found B/M´s Cooler Mounting Instructions.
This shows a transmission cooler but I assume it´s good for engine oil coolers as well.
Both inlet and outlet facing down would cause airlocks.

·
3,029 Posts
Lost interest ?

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here you go, finally found B/M´s Cooler Mounting Instructions.
This shows a transmission cooler but I assume it´s good for engine oil coolers as well.
Both inlet and outlet facing down would cause airlocks.
yes but thats for water always running getting real hot and making pressure and not a thick liquid when i service a bike or my mmoggie i can feel the hot oil running on my hand and its not that hot
would you not think id get a big glup off naff oil if the flow was at the top ???

·
3,029 Posts
yes but thats for water always running getting real hot and making pressure and not a thick liquid when i service a bike or my mmoggie i can feel the hot oil running on my hand and its not that hot
would you not think id get a big glup off naff oil if the flow was at the top ???
What are you on about, transmissions have an oil fluid not frikkin water,
and engine oil is not a thick liquid either and it´s under pressure also ?

"i can feel the hot oil running on my hand and its not that hot"

It´s either hot or it´s not hot.

Did you install the cooler on the moggie ?

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah its installed with pipes at the bottom
i thought it was water on the bm website thought it went to the rad aswell !!
damn website isnt loading now

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
i thought it was water on the bm website thought it went to the rad aswell !!
Sorry mate, but you thinking an auto trans runs on water's one of the funniest things I've read in ages! I'm guessing that maybe you've seen a diagram of a standard auto trans cooler set up which is often built in to the bottom of the main radiator. can't work out why you're trawling through the B&M site to see how to plumb in an engine oil cooler though.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry mate, but you thinking an auto trans runs on water's one of the funniest things I've read in ages! I'm guessing that maybe you've seen a diagram of a standard auto trans cooler set up which is often built in to the bottom of the main radiator. can't work out why you're trawling through the B&M site to see how to plumb in an engine oil cooler though.
well i dunno could have a water cooled line on the gear case hahaha
im a c#nt didnt know they where built it with the water coolers and ive had a few people say my coolers wrong and some what evers its in i have no prob no oil splashing or anything

1 - 9 of 9 Posts