Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
LAST RUN..... On Sunday 2nd November The London too Brighton Cronk Rally !. We Hot Rods /Custom/Yanks are going from Streatham Common south petrol St opps the Pied Bull Pub for 0815 ~ 0830.
Next stop / pick up Tesco car pk Purley town for 0900~0915

Final stop / pick up Redhill A23 Halfords/ Pets World car pk for 0930 ~ 0940

Then end up in Brighton for a late Breakfast... All Welcome just Tag a long and see what's its all about :tup:

·
Cadillac fanatic
890 Posts
PLEASE NOTE :
This is the annual VETERAN London to Brighton car run, this is NOT a yank, hotrod or custom car event.....!!!

It is a very good day out, but you must be aware that this event has taken place every year since 1901, and you must respect the event, NO bad driving or burnouts on route, NO racing, NO do-nuts ect;, its all about enjoying the drive down to Brighton and that's it......

I have done this event for over 27 years, and normally leave at 7.30am from Streatham, and I always expect to reach Brighton by around 2.pm.... traffic permiting

It generally takes around 6 hours to reach Brighton on this day.... and there is absolutely NO parking in Brighton for this event, so we normally have lunch in the Roedean café, before heading back home around 4pm.

This is a very well organised event, with hundreds if not thousands of volunteers on the day covering the entire route, most with walkie talkies and a massive police presence, and any bad driving / burnouts.... means you will get knicked.

DO NOT SPOIL THIS EVENT.... by all means go along, have loads of fun and enjoy your day out, but remember this is NOT our event and never will be, so respect that.

Oh and one last point....> you must give way to the veteran cars, allow them as much space as they need, and allow them to pass where ever they can, they have NO set rules of driving on this day and can undertake you, over take you, cut you off, and even block you in.... remember to help them by getting out of their way as much as you can..... they are part of a massive race which starts at 6am at Hyde park in London and they are all trying to get to Brighton 1st...... NOT us ( remember that ).

So it is NOT a drag race, it's not even our race.... it is a very very very slooooooow cruise down to Brighton, waving at the public, and having loads of pictures taken of you and your pride and joy, ENJOY. :tup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GOD !! why do some people jump it and think that's it ok to perch about an event. We all no that this is a Veteran car rally, is part of our history here in the UK and I do not think one min that we would wreck it !.. come on b :cool:

·
Milner for PM!
2,303 Posts
So it is NOT a drag race, it's not even our race.... it is a very very very slooooooow cruise down to Brighton, waving at the public, and having loads of pictures taken of you and your pride and joy, ENJOY. :tup:
Some folk won't even be too pleased that you've called it a race!

I'll be standing in Croydon with my camera will probably stop to have a look at the rods in Purley. Final destination for us is the M.G. meet at the Air Balloon in Horley.

·
Cadillac fanatic
890 Posts
GOD !! why do some people jump it and think that's it ok to perch about an event. We all no that this is a Veteran car rally, is part of our history here in the UK and I do not think one min that we would wreck it !.. come on b :cool:
I heard through various people on facebook / twitter ect, that a large number of rods and yanks ect are planning on attending this event this year, it has nothing to do with " perching the event " more about letting people know in advance who may have never been on it before, that it is very well organised and not to do silly things like burn-outs, all the way to Brighton.... or you will get knicked.

Obviously common sense must prevail.....:tup:

·
prostreet enthusiast
195 Posts
I heard through various people on facebook / twitter ect, that a large number of rods and yanks ect are planning on attending this event this year, it has nothing to do with " perching the event " more about letting people know in advance who may have never been on it before, that it is very well organised and not to do silly things like burn-outs, all the way to Brighton.... or you will get knicked.

Obviously common sense must prevail.....:tup:
i wouldn't have enough rubber to burn out all the way to Brighton :tup:

·
Milner for PM!
2,303 Posts
Just to let people know, a route change this year means that the cars will be going down the A236 Southbridge Road before joining the A235 Brighton Road.

·
Milner for PM!
2,303 Posts

1904 Alldays with lovely patina

1899 Decauville was one of the more sparsely equipped cars

The 1904 Darracq known as Genevieve is an annual favourite

Beautifully quaint Humberette from 1903

c.1902 De Dion Bouton with an unusual but attractive Hanson Cab body

The oldest car there (aside from the c.1888 Truchutet which I never saw) and the oldest I've ever seen was this c.1892 Panhard et Levassor

With its stately luxuries, this elegant Renault was in stark contrast with the Decauville and Humberette

This Toledo steamer, one of 14 in existence, dates from 1902 and had just returned from a re-enactment of a journey along the Grand Canyon, still covered in Colorado mud

·
Milner for PM!
2,303 Posts
First stop for me was Purley, where a church was kindly providing a pit area for the veterans.

The first car through Purley was this 1904 Panhard et Levassor. As a point of interest, Olympic sailor Ben Ainslie is a passenger.

The Jeanperrin, dating from c.1901, is a new one to me.

My favourite shot was of this 1902 Napier D50 - the car in which Selwyn F. Edge won the 1902 Gordon Bennett Cup race.

The Cudell, another vis-à-vis from 1901, was also new to me.

1895 Peugeot was #1A, so I wonder if, for some reason, it replaced the 1888 Truchutet that I never saw.

Mors made sure their hoods were just short enough for the chauffeur to get wet. This one is from 1902.

Steve Redgrave drove a 1904 Thornycroft, the only one on the event.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.