Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of late theres been a few people talking about Methonal 8)

Now im uneducated with the race scene (god i wish i wasnt ) so could someone please list the different fuels from ordinary pump gas upward and the mods needed to run said fuels :S
and where you can but the stuff and the costs involved ;)

I heard a vid on here a while ago and the difference in the engine note was outstanding but whats the power difference :?:

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
I've run a couple of racing cars on Methanol and Methanol/Nitromethane mix. Main things I remember were:

huge increase in fuel tank size and fuel delivery needed because alchohol fuels need to run really rich to make power and not melt your pistons.

You need modify your motor to run a really high compression ratio/boost to get the best from alchohol fuel, I also found that if the exhaust valves weren't stainless steel, the seats simply disappeared after a few events.

Methanol attacks almost all plastics, so you need OK for methanol components in your fuel system, especially the carb and fuel pump.

You need to purge the system of methanol after running the car, I used to run the car on petrol briefly before putting away before the next race meeting. Methanol takes in water and and also corrodes aluminium components if its left lying inside blowers etc. for a while.

If you get all this stuff right you get more power than you would running petrol, and you get the advantage of Methanol's excellent latent heat of evaporation which is useful for charge cooling with a blower and it also keeps the combustion area cool in the motor, especially useful if you have a side valve lump.

·
richard rawlplug
8,120 Posts
Thats intresting (methanol) but now it sounds more like diesel so even more confused lol but what dont help is when wiki states

" In 2144, the German chemists Alwin Mittasch and Mathias Pier "

Jes that was a long sleep i had today :beuj:
it says 1923 on the version i read.....or have you uncovered a secret german time travel machine???

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Be sure to clear the bores of Methanol too , in fact its a good idea to do it with race fuel , c12 , c16 etc.
Then spray loads of WD type spray down every plug hole , the more the better. I have seen rust appear on cylinder walls if you dont do this.

I would also recomend that the engine is turned over by hand a couple of times a week , and spray more WD in there.
Its cheap maintenace on the bores and helps the valve springs too.8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts