Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I've just borrowed a mate's(ex probably)Nissan Terrano to pull out some small trees near my pond.
Bottom line, rope snapped and said 4X4 is on it's side in about 4 foot of water.
It's been there for about four hours and a mate is coming over to pull it out with his tractor.
Despite being 36° today the water was cold.
What's my chances of it not being written off with water damage and getting it started?I can take care of the bodywork
Neil

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
yeah, need a picture,boy do we ever need a picture.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did i walk (or drive) into that one.
The technical department (my kids) are out but i've taken some for insurance etc but photobucket is not my strong point. I'm off to the UK and not back till monday and will put some pictures up then. If i hear so much as a snigger that person is not invited to my open house here Cassagnal: beautiful stone pigeonnier in SW France next August. The pond in it now has an extra attraction
Even better my mate Laurent needs it for work tomorrow
Keeping under cover
Neil

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don,t care who you are, you just brightened my somewhat crap day! Thanks for that!!!

Sorry about your problem, No, really. Picture! Now!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Whoops, as its a pond it will be fresh water at least as salt water will end up corroding all the electrical connections over time,pull it out,strip the interior and wash the carpet & trim etc,be prepared for a long wait for any foam to dry out,park the motor up with all the doors,windows open to let it dry out,biggest concern is if the engine sucked any water in the air filter as it could lock the engine up and bend rods,depends if it was running when it went in,could be worth removing plugs/glow plugs before turning it over to let it out the bores if unsure,squirt any electrical connections with wd40 and leave to dry out before reconnecting.
My mates rescued a sierra and peugeot 306 diesel from fresh water before and they've survived unscathed after drying out
Good Luck:tup:

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Hello Neil. The answer to your problem is simple. As they are small trees you should cut them using a chain saw to near enough ground level then hire a small digger to get the root section out. Glad to be of help.

·
Super Moderator
7,399 Posts
Your not the only one....

It happened at my local break when I lived in Cornwall last weekend......... and that looks like a 60 plate to me.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
What no pictures? how can we truly help out without big pictures. I think you would be better off coming clean , i mean how else was you supposed to put that fire out in the engine bay? If it was not for your quick thinking it could have been alot worse.

How dare your friend lend you a self combusting vehicle, I say he is lucky your not suing.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Hello Neil. The answer to your problem is simple. As they are small trees you should cut them using a chain saw to near enough ground level then hire a small digger to get the root section out. Glad to be of help.
better still......leave the stumps as natural seating around the pond for the gnomes:incheek:

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Hi
I've just borrowed a mate's(ex probably)Nissan Terrano to pull out some small trees near my pond.
Bottom line, rope snapped and said 4X4 is on it's side in about 4 foot of water.

Neil
HOW Kin BIG IS THE POND ........:lol:

·
richard rawlplug
8,140 Posts
tell him the truck needed a wash....

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Is it this bad?

Seriously tho' a mate of mine followed his sat nav into a river (!) - his six month old Peugeot diesel would have been okay but the recovery mob tried to start it and hydrauliced the motor writing it off...so advice as above turn it over without compression to make sure there is no water in the block.

A mate's BMW 'bike lay on its side for a week in a flood, when the water levels dropped he picked it up, jumped the battery and it started and ran - bloody German engineering...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts