Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,265 Posts
Illegal . No grey area but the get-out speech involves" ...but it's not raining officer so I don't need them " . If he decides you do need them and they are not with you he can place a prohibition order which means 4 wheel lift away and visting an MOT station to get them to sign it's been rectified. If he only issue s a FNP then it's £60 and currently no points.

However it's also worth thinking aboyut whether you want to draw their attention in the first place as they may look for other irregularities.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I was fined back in the 70's with the Pop I built then for a little section of tyre sticking out from the arch because the vehicle construction and use states When veiwed from above no tread must be visible. If this rule still stands then all cars without fenders must be illegal.

·
Super Moderator
7,399 Posts
I had a stop in the seventies for wheels sticking out....... when I pointed out the law and only the sidewalls showed from above he started having a go about my tow bar being low............. :wanker:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
right guys im sure this question has been asked a hundred times!

what is the legality on running open fenders? i want to run the morris with no wings but want to know where i stand!
Yes, technically illegal but i ran my model A for two years and never a pull. Got looked at and admired by many a passing policeman in England, France, Belgium, Switzerland. Got nice smiles from most of them.

I was followed by one for a few miles on the motorway, obviously doing the checks then passed me with thumbs up.
Lets face it most of them have probably seen more then one Hot Rod programme. I intend to run my model B without.

The choice is yours

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
Its not an mot failure, but the police do you for "having no provision of preventing excessive spray from tyres".

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
and still the question must be asked "What about quads" seeing as the mudguards do absolutley nothing to stop spray/debris from going behind,barely just about stop the rider from getting wet

·
Registered
254 Posts
or tractors with none at all, still as has been said, your choice....some rods look crap with fenders, i do have detachable ones for the winter use, but like it better without. There must be 1000's of rods being run without, but we all know what might happen, still i am happy to live with the risk of £60 FPN, most of the coppers where i am are great, they are more concerned with the young guys in the ricers driving like pratts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
or tractors with none at all, still as has been said, your choice....some rods look crap with fenders, i do have detachable ones for the winter use, but like it better without. There must be 1000's of rods being run without, but we all know what might happen, still i am happy to live with the risk of £60 FPN, most of the coppers where i am are great, they are more concerned with the young guys in the ricers driving like pratts
1000s without? really - i doubt theres 1000 hotrods in the UK never mind fenderless ones.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
1000s without? really - i doubt theres 1000 hotrods in the UK never mind fenderless ones.
Interesting point, you want to start a new thread on that subject!

It needs some kind of criteria, but i wonder how many 'on the road' rods there are in the UK?

(Been done before?)....

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,265 Posts
Like much legsilation and motoring laws at least you will be making a judgement call based on facts not hearsay. 'You' make your choice and accept any consequences.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just to bump this, I saw the rule book this afternoon first hand. You do need them. The rule isn't just for rain, it states stones, road debris and mud as well. Agricultural vehicles are exempt, as are vehicles that can't do more than 20mph (or are restricted to 20mph) which technically covers most vintage vehicles. Not sure about quads but they are registered as motorbikes I think.

First time I've been pulled for it despite many miles, many police behind me and conversations about the car, VOSA vans etc. No fine issued, but I do have to fit fenders within 14 days.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts