Rods 'n' Sods banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure if anyone has done this thread, if so, i havent found it, so, here goes...
We all know that hot rodding started in america in the 40's, weve all seen the pictures of the first hot rodded 32 roadsters and coupes etc, but has anyone got any pics of the first british hot rods, when were they built, and what base models were used?
Cheers. paul

·
Premium Member
5,805 Posts
No pics but I can think of a handful of Deuces and Model Y's built in the 50's, along with countless others, often British tin. Try checking out Timetravel's excellent website.
Photo evidence from all and sundry will be arriving at platform one shortly...

·
Registered
277 Posts
First one of any note & notoriety must be Geoff Jago's pickup. First pic in the underground car park at Hyde Park at the 2nd BHRA show in 1964 & the colour one from later (can't remember when). This was a Ford truck &, in the words of Geoff himself, drove like an old Ford truck(!) as it still had all the original running gear in it. Still in the family & was being restored by his son, last I heard.

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
First one of any note & notoriety must be Geoff Jago's pickup. First pic in the underground car park at Hyde Park at the 2nd BHRA show in 1964 & the colour one from later (can't remember when). This was a Ford truck &, in the words of Geoff himself, drove like an old Ford truck(!) as it still had all the original running gear in it. Still in the family & was being restored by his son, last I heard.

THE 2ND PIC IS A BOB ROTHWELL PIC THAT I NOW HAVE IN MY CARE, IT WAS TAKEN AT WOBURN ABBEY IN 65....:smoke:​

·
Registered
228 Posts
I heard that when the Yanks were over here in 1940-45 they were so impressed with our 4cyl Riley's M.G's Jags power out put and could not dream of shipping one back after the war they started hotting up what was cheap and available. Just a thought were did the influence to the start of Rodding/Hot Rods happen was told this by an very old American Hot Rodder
Geoff Jago must be one of the first to start it off here and the Blackbushe festivel of 1964.

·
Premium Member
5,805 Posts
The Americans were hopping up cars way before WW2. Veda Orr used to send newsletters to troops stationed overseas. Fenderless hot rods and hopped up flatties and 4 bangers existed and speed trials were held at Muroc and Bonneville. In short no, we weren't the catalyst that started hot rodding, they just carried on from where they left off in 41.

·
78 Bronco BRING IT ON!
440 Posts
I think cars over here certainly before the war were just to expensive for hot rodding to exist.Perhaps it did,because the rich were the only ones to be able to afford them and had special coach built cars,lets face it there were lots of coach building companies back then and alot more social divide. Then after the war everyone was skint, and we had a country to rebuild.The Yanks never had that problem!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Probably seen before,taken at the BHRA AGM at Hednesford Hills Raceway in either '62 or '63.

·
Premium Member
5,805 Posts
DWE19 was around and rebuilt in the early eighties by Ray Hill in Birmingham. It was full fendered, two tone blue, with a 3 litre V6 Ford. There are photos of it in this guise elsewhere on the site or on Timetravel's excellent website. It's whereabouts are unknown but the plate is sadly on someone's daily driver thesedays.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Brilliant pics, even I was young then, Ha, Ha! If we only knew we would have taken more photos!

Rog.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts