Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of a long shot, anybody got one kicking about. Need a few more mphs and a few less revs on my truck. It has to fit on a 1703 Consul Engine.

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
andy, many years ago my mate bought a 4 speed box for his zephyr, it had a separate lever for reverse, it used all 4 positions on the column shift to go forward, i think they were rare even 25 years ago

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
One just sold on ebay for just over 800 pounds. Might be worth thinking about another diff. Would be a lot cheaper.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I'm picking one up on sat 28th from Hull amongst other mk3 things. It's a 4 speed overdrive out of a mk3 Zodiac. It will fit the Consul engine but you will need the 4 speed column and gear change + linkages which I don't think is with the bunch of stuff I've got.

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
hi greg, dose my post above yours read right, if andy has 4 positions on his column (3 plus 1 reverse) thendo you think it would work?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I fitted a mk1 laycock to my 3spd 400E box and fabricated a rear crossmember cage to slide into the Thames K members without cutting/modifying the original chassis. Made a good difference to cruising speed.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
As far as I understand you would need the mk3 outer column and shifter. Me mate Lil John had it done and couldn't use the original 3 speed outer column for whatever reason? I'll ask 2mora and find out the reasoning??

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crumble, already changed diff for 4.11 out of Consul, but still finding it's racing its tits off at cruising speed.
Add a lack of acceleration, and just toying with the idea of dropping the 4.6 back in, with an overdrive.

I am presuming Enfoman is Kev?

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm picking one up on sat 28th from Hull amongst other mk3 things. It's a 4 speed overdrive out of a mk3 Zodiac. It will fit the Consul engine but you will need the 4 speed column and gear change + linkages which I don't think is with the bunch of stuff I've got.
I may be giving you a call at some stage.:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts