Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once an area has been cleared of paint & down to bare steel then repaired & filled with p38 should I then use spray filler or primer then spray filler? Thanks

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's considered a good make or cheap? Also what to use when rubbing down filler? Dry paper by hand? Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
Upol fantastic filler finished with 180 grit, then two coats of upol reface. ( it's a bit of a pig to block sand 320 grit but it wont sink )
Then a good quality high build 2k primer again block sanded something around 500/600 grit then finish with
800. Leaves you with a good stable base on which to apply top coat.
That's how ive done it for over 20 years.

·
Woodchipper Extraordinair
2,305 Posts
Upol fantastic filler finished with 180 grit, then two coats of upol reface. ( it's a bit of a pig to block sand 320 grit but it wont sink )
Then a good quality high build 2k primer again block sanded something around 500/600 grit then finish with
800. Leaves you with a good stable base on which to apply top coat.
That's how ive done it for over 20 years.
Reface is a pig to block because some ingredients have been removed from it, try DuPont's polyester spray filler, it's better than reface and it costs the same so I am told.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've also got a chip in my paintwork in the panel behind the drivers door, what's the best way to attack that? Should I feather it out around it then paint over it? No need to use any filler? Thanks

·
Administrator
9,798 Posts
If it's solid colour just clean it with panel wipe and touch in with a small artists brush. Do this several times to build up the paint till its just proud of the surrounding paint. Let it cure for a few days and carefully block sand flush with surrounding paint (start with grade 1200 and work up to 2000). Then mop paint to finish - it should be an invisible repair.

·
Rekindled Dream
2,064 Posts
If you don't have a dremel and are considering getting one. Lidl are selling a similar 150 watt version with a flexible wand for £19.99 on Bank holiday Monday.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can get my nail under the paint around the chipped bit. I'm thinking of getting the whole car resprayed

·
Registered
179 Posts
cant work out in the picture if the bottom left of the chip has paint fractures or if they are just scratches. if they are fractures you will need to sand these out too to stop them creeping further down the panel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts