Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The powdercoating on the wire wheels of my trike (see below) has seen better days. The main problem is some areas of rust bubbling following a winter arctic circle rally - the roads were heavily salted.

I'm thinking of wire brushing the rust bubbles (they are particularly around the spokes) and then treating with Jenolite or similar followed by keying of the rest of the powdercoat and spraying with 2 pack in silver (same colour as the powdercoat).

This is the third time they have been powdercoated and I've had the same problem each time after 3 or 4 year. It costs about £100 a wheel to have them blasted and powdercoated and I'm fed up of it. I can have them sprayed in 2 pack (or even Tupac) by a mate with a commercial spraybooth for nothing so I want to try that.

Is this possible? Do I need a special primer over the powder coat or should they be completely blasted clean. Any suggestions or comments?

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
That's the problem with powdercoating, once it chips the weather gets under it & makes a mess. I reckon it'd be best to get them blasted & get your mate to 2 pack them, much more durable.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
yes deffanantly agree with hemi on that,be better in the long run,and you wont look a kunt if you do it properly:pmsl:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts