Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahem, now the front suspension and sparking stuff has been sorted, I need to know about painting...

I have been donated some paint for the Pop (thanks Andy :tup: ) and now I need to know how to put it from the can onto the car...

I have a cheap, new, spray gun, I have a compressor (only small, but I'm not after show winning paint), and that's about my knowledge...

I presume I need to regulate the pressure down to something, but to what (I can get a filter/regulator from work)???

I presume I need to thin the paint (celly, we think), but by how much???

Anything else I need to know???

This could be fun, as I normally get runs in deoderant...!!

·
Administrator
9,802 Posts
Pressure - depends on the gun - paint viscosity - gun tip size.
Usually somewhere around 25-45psi will be about right.

Thinning the paint - again depends on paint viscosity - long time since I've used celly, but it can vary from 30-50% thinners for first coats to get colour on and up to 90% for the last coats for high gloss.

Get a water trap filter & drain tank daily to get water/oil out of the air.

Try a bit of paint on a spare panel to find out if its celly or not and to get the hang of regulating the air pressure/trigger settings till you get comfortable with it.

·
Woodchipper Extraordinair
2,305 Posts
Guy, pm me your address and I'll pop you a pressure regulator in the post, I've got a couple spare so use it and send it back when you're done.

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Next time you are passing Phil, drop in. I have another can of the paint, and you can probably tell with your trained snout what it is.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pressure - depends on the gun - paint viscosity - gun tip size.
Usually somewhere around 25-45psi will be about right.

Thinning the paint - again depends on paint viscosity - long time since I've used celly, but it can vary from 30-50% thinners for first coats to get colour on and up to 90% for the last coats for high gloss.

Get a water trap filter & drain tank daily to get water/oil out of the air.

Try a bit of paint on a spare panel to find out if its celly or not and to get the hang of regulating the air pressure/trigger settings till you get comfortable with it.
Spray gun is out of a lidl air tools kit (!!), the can is on the top, approx half a litre, the nozzle has a 1 on it, and it has a turny dial thing on the side with 3, 6, 9 and 12 on it, and a sprung thumbwheel on the back that goes through the lever towards the nozzle...

Someone today said 50% paint, 25% thinners and 25% hardener, but I'm not sure you need hardener with Celly???

Guy, pm me your address and I'll pop you a pressure regulator in the post, I've got a couple spare so use it and send it back when you're done.
Phil, thanks mate, but there is no need as we sell them at work, and I can get one from there :tup:

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
p.s. I stirred the paint with a bit of tube last night, and the paint has gone off on it...

Yeah, I need to have a tidy up, but have been on it for the last couple of weeks, I'll do it at the weekend...!!

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Someone today said 50% paint, 25% thinners and 25% hardener, but I'm not sure you need hardener with Celly???
No, Celly doesn't have a hardener. It dries by solvent evaporation as opposed to 2k which dries by chemical reaction (hence the hardener). It's generally thinned 50/50 but like stated can be thinned more for finishing coats. I used to find 45psi (at the gun) to be about right. Luckily you can play around with celly so don't worry too much about any mistakes. It dries in no time so you can flat and polish (or re-coat) any dry spots or runs :tup:

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Stiff, do I need to use any particular thinners, or will just about any celly thinners be ok???

As most have seen the car, it's only being painted so that it's one colour and to stop it from rusting, finish isn't really an issue...!!!

·
Administrator
9,802 Posts
Right,
On the gun - the 1 is for a 1mm tip - probably fine for celly but a bit small for 2K. As a guide 1.8-2.0mm is for primer, 1.4-1.6 for topcoat. 0.8,1.0,1.2 are for touch ups mostly as they are a bit small for painting large areas.
Celly being thinner will probably be ok in 1.0mm tip.

The dial on the side is for adjusting the fan - 0 will be no fan so you will get a spot/tight circle of paint and 12 will be full fan giving you a wide line of paint (bit like a 4" brush) The wider the fan the more air pressure you will need as it robs some of the air to power the fan.

The screw cap on the back of the fluid tip is for adjusting how much paint will come out when you pull the trigger right back. A few quick passes on a trial panel will give you a feel of where to adjust this. Too little paint & you will be doing hundreds of passes, too much & you will get runs. The more you open the spray fan up the more you will need to open the fluid tip up.

As said, only 2K uses hardener, If your paint set on the stick it will be celly. The better the quality of thinners the better the paint will shine - gunwash thinners is raw and aggressive (for cleaning up) and refinishing thinners will spray better & give a better gloss as its far more refined (bit like 5* petrol).

Practice on a peice of scrap, have fun & remember to clean the gun COMPLETELY after use - that means stripping it down & washing all parts & inside the gun too. Dirty guns spray crap.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I watched a U-Tube piece (recommended) on spraying and the star made a good point about fitting a little pressure gauge on the gun. I bought one and it is handy so you can make quick adjustments when as said above, you alter the fan so need to restore the pressure to maintain the paint flow. I just make sure the regulator on the compressor is set to say 60 psi then theres always enough to keep the gun up to pressure. Handy too when you are experimenting and learning - something I have to do every time as I dont do much and not too often. Dave

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right,
On the gun - the 1 is for a 1mm tip - probably fine for celly but a bit small for 2K. As a guide 1.8-2.0mm is for primer, 1.4-1.6 for topcoat. 0.8,1.0,1.2 are for touch ups mostly as they are a bit small for painting large areas.
Celly being thinner will probably be ok in 1.0mm tip.

The dial on the side is for adjusting the fan - 0 will be no fan so you will get a spot/tight circle of paint and 12 will be full fan giving you a wide line of paint (bit like a 4" brush) The wider the fan the more air pressure you will need as it robs some of the air to power the fan.

The screw cap on the back of the fluid tip is for adjusting how much paint will come out when you pull the trigger right back. A few quick passes on a trial panel will give you a feel of where to adjust this. Too little paint & you will be doing hundreds of passes, too much & you will get runs. The more you open the spray fan up the more you will need to open the fluid tip up.

As said, only 2K uses hardener, If your paint set on the stick it will be celly. The better the quality of thinners the better the paint will shine - gunwash thinners is raw and aggressive (for cleaning up) and refinishing thinners will spray better & give a better gloss as its far more refined (bit like 5* petrol).

Practice on a peice of scrap, have fun & remember to clean the gun COMPLETELY after use - that means stripping it down & washing all parts & inside the gun too. Dirty guns spray crap.
Thanks Mark, I actually like the sound of using gunwash thinners as I don't want it really shiney/perfect (mainly because the bodywork isn't...) :lol:

If it's cold where you're painting, use 'anti-bloom' thinners. It'll stop the 'cloudy' patches.
I'll stick the heater on before I paint anything...!!!

I watched a U-Tube piece (recommended) on spraying and the star made a good point about fitting a little pressure gauge on the gun. I bought one and it is handy so you can make quick adjustments when as said above, you alter the fan so need to restore the pressure to maintain the paint flow. I just make sure the regulator on the compressor is set to say 60 psi then theres always enough to keep the gun up to pressure. Handy too when you are experimenting and learning - something I have to do every time as I dont do much and not too often. Dave
Cheers, I'll have a look out on youtube... :tup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi
I have been told you maybe able to help me with a propshaft mod? I would like a prop lengthened or made for a ford 9 inch one end and th350 flange on the other?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts