Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just sprayed my lads bumper in base coat ,can i flat it befor aplying clear coat as these are a couple of bits of dust on it ,if so what grade paper do i use thanks

·
The Camino Kid
1,169 Posts
I would say it's ok to rub down. They call it colour sanding if memory serves me. It also helps remove any "orange peel" from the finish. I'm only going by what i've seen on tv. I would say start with maybe 1200 and go down from there and use plenty of water. I'm sure someone on here with plenty of experience will tell you the best way to go about it. Roger.

·
The returned
190 Posts
as above , nib out the crap and then dust a new coat over , leave to dull off then hit it with the clear .
Color sanding as the yanks call it is when the flat the clear off before using a mop to bring the lustre back .
we call it flat an polish , seen as thats what were doin ;-)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks just picked up a very fine pad to take out the dust...
how soon after do you spray clear,or how long can i leave it before clear coat,can i leave it a couple of days b efore applying clear.coat thanks for all the help

·
Registered
133 Posts
just sprayed my lads bumper in base coat ,can i flat it befor aplying clear coat as these are a couple of bits of dust on it ,if so what grade paper do i use thanks
if you have dust in it you can get base coat tackrags wich are good ,, or flat with 2000 make sure its properly dry or it will tear , then put another coat of base over it ,,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts