Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey People,

What's a decent paint stripper for automotive use? I've read somewhere that the Nitromor (green) has was in it to protect wood and isn't ideal for metal, any truth in it?

Cheers

Gotzy

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,410 Posts
I had to strip my Impala twice & tried many different brands. The only one that worked was Nitromors (the one in the green tin made for metal). Score the paint first (but don't scratch the underlying metal). The only other thing I'd say is mask off any seams & panel joins & sand them by hand. Stripper will seep into the seams & ruin any future paint.

·
Registered
552 Posts
im not sure that nitromors will touch that paint on ur engine steve if thats wot its for, the paint used is i think called Glyptal, its a varnish used on electrical windings, maybe talk to someone who rewinds alternators, also steve do u still want some 4.56 gears for the Minor? if so i have some, the chap i got them from thought they were 3.9's!

jim

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only ever seen the all purpose Nitromors and not a specific one for metal, is there a couple of types or are you referring to the all pupose one Impala?

Yeah it is for the engine Jim but since the paint is yellow it's not Glyptal. As far as the gears go we're waiting til the car is finished and been on the scales and rolling road until we spend out on gears, can't afford to spend twice if they'll not the ideal ratio.

·
Registered
552 Posts
well it must be RUSTOLEUM then, alot of builders in the states use it but alot dont bother, it would seam that u may have to get it blasted off, best thing to do is give Banda engineering in Portsmouth a ring they my be able to help..02392 828224 and as far as i know there is only one type of nitromors,

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well it must be RUSTOLEUM then, alot of builders in the states use it but alot dont bother, it would seam that u may have to get it blasted off, best thing to do is give Banda engineering in Portsmouth a ring they my be able to help..02392 828224 and as far as i know there is only one type of nitromors,
Nah need to get it off by hand as the block doesn't need machining, already done the valley and timing chain area with various wire wheels but now need to do the actual crank case which has limited access, gunna be a bitch!

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Get it acid dipped, look in yellow pages under de-rusting or paint removal.
Has the added bonus it cleans all the shite out of oilways. I would be very wary of blasting, one bit of grit in a bearing, and you have an ex-bearing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you want the strongest paint stripper, try get some "Synstrip" from a paint factor. it contains a bit of phenol as well as the usual methelyne chloride and triacetate

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
As said before, green nitromors, should be pretty good, only thing I found it doesn't touch is hammerite.
Only down side is that you have to wash it off with water, not good for your raw surfaces

I used bead blasting once, worst days work ever.. I spent more time (months and months) picking little bits of bead out of everywhere, even the areas that were masked off!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts