Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally decided I ought to throw my 390 small block Mopar together and want to get a lick of paint on it first.

I'm looking for recommendations on a durable satin black finish with or without primer.
The block is 40 years old and obviously already has paint on it and I'd much prefer to just prep the current surface. The aftermarket iron heads are brand spanking new and I'd quite like them to look the same colour as the block when I'm done...

I only want to do this once so any tips, tricks or paint brand suggestions are welcome.

I'll be firing up the compressor for this one so rattle cans are out.

Cheers

·
Hammer-based simpleton
489 Posts
Done my bike engine in satin 2k two years ago, been washed twice since then, paint's still A1. Heat's no problem to it. Might react if it's enamel on there, but if it's old and well-cooked it'd prob be OK, worth testing on a small bit first though.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Done my bike engine in satin 2k two years ago, been washed twice since then, paint's still A1. Heat's no problem to it. Might react if it's enamel on there, but if it's old and well-cooked it'd prob be OK, worth testing on a small bit first though.
Cheers. Good thought on the test patch :tup:

·
Hammer-based simpleton
489 Posts
No worries, 2k's got a small thinners content and if the enamel's been well cooked it should be fine, just sand/scuff, proper clean/degrease o'course.
Painted loads of 2k onto old enamel on my Landy and it was totally fine. Fresh-ish enamel puckers up lots though...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No worries, 2k's got a small thinners content and if the enamel's been well cooked it should be fine, just sand/scuff, proper clean/degrease o'course.
Painted loads of 2k onto old enamel on my Landy and it was totally fine. Fresh-ish enamel puckers up lots though...
Oh yeah, it's been cooked alright...

·
Registered
889 Posts
This is done with 2 K Jamie and This was the first time I have used 2K on a engine and I found it very good and it was primed first

1 - 7 of 7 Posts