Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I did 2 new rear wings & the old boot with no problems. Today disaster, sprayed the 2 new wings ok with etch primer 2k but the old doors have reacted. Is it the old paint? Have I gotta remove all the paint back to bare metal? If so What's the best way to remove it? Orbital sander 60 grit ok?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
Does look like a reaction to the paint underneath, either get the new paint off and smooth and use a sealer, or get it all off down to metal, orbital would be faster. 60 grit is a bit harsh might damage edges.

·
Deviant
3,518 Posts
See the problem is with bare metal is you would have to remove all filler and paint there may be on there if you leave the filler on as ive found to my cost the new stuff will react in circles round the filler

was it etch primer you used ? old etch primer and new etch primer dont get on

·
Banned
4,274 Posts
You should not use etch primer on paint, etch primer is an acid that "bites" into bare metal ... remove the lot and start again.

·
Registered
469 Posts

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
you say you used something like bar coat

did you actually use bar coat

this stuff is a 100% isolator and i have never had anything able to bleed through the stuff

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I didn't use any barcoat, it didn't react on the filler/bare metal area. Spoke to guy whose gonna be painting it & he said strip it off with paint stripper back to bare metal

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
yeah but this is what this stuff is designed for
do main prep then cover with bar coat then 3/4 coats of filler primer and as long as you don't go through the primer then all will be good

·
Registered
935 Posts
Get rid of the offending layer, you don't want an unstable layer in there even if it's temporarily sealed with Barcoat. Old paints like this continue to move move over time with heat etc.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Never had a problem with Barcoat ,but as Dave said best if the offending paint is removed as any repair work at a later date will have the same problem

·
Registered
658 Posts
Like Grumpy Grandad says. A while ago ,early 9os, there was a paint product that was a cheap 2 pack. It was one pack poly (cheap shiny paint) and the powers that be
made it in to a 2 pack. Leyland and jaguar used it for a while.

Anyway it was crap especially if you came to paint over it. It never really went hard and when flatted it was just like synthetic.

This information is based on an actual experience not a search on Google!!

DC

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone recommend a good paint stripper? Last time I used some it would sting if you got any on bare skin but this stuff don't. What grade should I finish on bare steel? 80 or 180?

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts