Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick q's

Do you need to primer the engine first ? If so, what primer ?

Will any paint work or has it got to be the High Temp stuff ?

Engine is a 351C if that makes any difference :tup:

Cheers

·
Rod'a'holic
1,045 Posts
De grease it then do it again. I use just 2 pack primer and 2K paint provided you follow steps 1 & 2 first it stands up well

·
Banned
489 Posts
Simon this how i do it and the paint on my engines are fine even after 10 years.

Degrease througherly twice, spray 2 coats of epoxy primer, wait 1 hr then overcoat with colour or basecoat/clear, stand back and admire :)

·
Banned
489 Posts
Another couple for your delectation :bigsmile:

The red small block is done with straight colour, the blue 302 is basecoat/clear, notice the blue is shinier.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
engine paint

For any paint to stand the test of time the prep. must be perfect. First remove any oil/grease, then try to remove as much old paint as possible, then degrease again,once the surface is clean and free of any rust loose paint I shoot a light coat of etch primer . Let the primer harden then shoot 2 thin coats of 2 pack. The trick is to keep the paint thin especially near areas of extreme heat like exhaust ports as too thick a paint layer seems to burn off in the hot spots. I've never tried clear over the base colour but Langys pics look good and its something I will be trying out on my next engine project.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Before I painted my last engine, I thoroughly degreased it and then I got my turbotorch and proceeded to go over the whole block.you could see the change in colour of the metal as I warmed it up and gradually the moisture started to run out out of the metal...even forming little puddles in the webs etc,..i could not believe the difference in the colour of the block after I`d chased all the moisture out of it.i then got the painter to hit it while it was still warm....primer and two pack...great finish.

·
Banned
489 Posts
You should bin the etch and try Epoxy primer as its adhesion qualitys are 10 times better even on poorly prepped surfaces HTH. :bigsmile:
Just noticed your in Watford, Whereabouts ???

For any paint to stand the test of time the prep. must be perfect. First remove any oil/grease, then try to remove as much old paint as possible, then degrease again,once the surface is clean and free of any rust loose paint I shoot a light coat of etch primer . Let the primer harden then shoot 2 thin coats of 2 pack. The trick is to keep the paint thin especially near areas of extreme heat like exhaust ports as too thick a paint layer seems to burn off in the hot spots. I've never tried clear over the base colour but Langys pics look good and its something I will be trying out on my next engine project.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Sorry for hi-jacking thread

You should bin the etch and try Epoxy primer as its adhesion qualitys are 10 times better even on poorly prepped surfaces HTH. :bigsmile:
???
So is poxy better than etch then Steve ?

When i finally get round to painting my car (id tell you the colour but then id have to kill ya :D ) I thought id need to etch it (bare metal'd) but if poxy is better it kinda sounds like i could cut out the middle man (etch then primer) as i know theres not much "" build "" in etch

Whats the "" build characteristics "" like with epoxy is it nice n thick (like me) like high build or would it not be recommended for body work

·
Banned
489 Posts
Vince its Epoxy, very important to get the right stuff, ask Kev 8-(

Acid etch is the old way, these days all the high end painters use Epoxy, Its a bit like saying is there any difference between Celly & 2 pack.

If you watch American Hotrod everything they do is Epoxied first.

In the old days you filled onto bare metal then primed but these days bare metal gets epoxy coated then you do the fillerwork after keying up the epoxy coat.

QUOTE=vince-305;11916]So is poxy better than etch then Steve ?

When i finally get round to painting my car (id tell you the colour but then id have to kill ya :D ) I thought id need to etch it (bare metal'd) but if poxy is better it kinda sounds like i could cut out the middle man (etch then primer) as i know theres not much "" build "" in etch

Whats the "" build characteristics "" like with epoxy is it nice n thick (like me) like high build or would it not be recommended for body work[/QUOTE]

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,202 Posts
Oh yes ! Most will try to sell you Upoxy not Epoxy. I stopped using Upoxy when I did my green Capri , got to be 14 yeras or so ago. Can't honestly understand why anyone would chose to use it when there are far better product sout there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts