Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably been on here a thousand times, do you need heat resistant paint to paint an engine?

Can I use cellulose or regular water based paint?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
For best results strip to bare bright metal,de-grease, thin coat of etch primer followed by 2 light coats of 2k in your chosen colour. For a real show finish you can add a light coat of 2k clear.
2k will out last other paints.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Probably stating the obvious but make sure it is thouroughly degreased by spraying on brake cleaner and blow off with an airgun.
Being a cheapjack I used Smoothrite, mixing black & white to get the boring shade of grey I was after. It seems to last very well.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Any old 2k from the leftovers in the paint cupboard. I recently painted my chevy in this orange leftover from Mark Flavell's dragster the first time I painted it in 1999.:shock:
Epoxy green primer, white 2k then orange 2k. All one after t'other, just flashed off . Lasts forever, i've found it doesn't even budge around the exhaust ports like some stuff does.

Dave

·
78 Bronco BRING IT ON!
440 Posts
I used proper engine lacquer on my engine and I now wish I`d asked like you first.I sprayed the engine lacquer (yellow in this case) and got a reasonable finish, but after the engine had been ran the paint went a darker shade ,which I did`nt want and did`nt seem to harden off like i expected. The worst part of all was I spilt petrol when setting the float levels on the holley and this made the paint peal off like paint stripper which I thought was crap for paint that was meant for an engine.I have later found out about spraying the block with 2k paints and wish to fuck I had, but the engines built and in the truck now so I`ll put up with it.The other thing that I found utter shite is ultra high temperature paint.I painted my headers with it and they got warmed up as gently as an exhaust can and still all the paint fell off after no time at all.:tdown:
The point is that non of the products I bought were cheep for what they were and the results v.disapointing.It would have been better for me to have paid to have the block sprayed by someone with 2k paint!!!

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Once again, thanks for the input, now just have to decided what metallic black I want to compliment the polished tunnel ram, carbs and scoop........

Decisions decisions

:)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Ar, now metalic black would be a base and clear job. I haven't tried that and it may not be as durable. Has anyone?

I would advise straight black. It'll look the same in an engine bay anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts