Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
hoping to bring home on this week an us import, which has just arived.

im hoping to collect this from the seller at the docs in london and is being sold with a clear tile and all import dutys paid.

the seller has informed me that the above are all correct but will not have the paperwork ready to hand over on collection

this is what the sell has sent me via e-mail;-
"just so you know i dont think they hand overthe title strait away,i seem to remember its posted on after a week or so(dont know why)and i also get sent the duty and vat reciept (c386)from customs head office(manchester)which i will post on to you,"

can anyone confirm if this is correct, ?

i have no reson to doubt the seller, but with paying out the money am a little worried that i am not getting all i need for the money.

thanks Dan

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
I've imported a couple of cars over the years although the last was a two years ago. I have never had to wait for the Title or Customs form that does not mean that you have a problem.

Two things to remember are, if you get the car out of the Docks the Import Duty/VAT must have been paid. The other thing in your favour is that it would not have been exported without a 'clear' TItle (ie no outstanding loans on the vehicle). You can register a car without a Title, it's a little messier but it can be done.

Rog.

·
Nowheresville
3,133 Posts
As Roger says, the title can help in the registration as it should confirm details like the year of manufacture or first use, but you will need the C386 as that is the proof that duty has been paid. I was told that you can get a duplicate copy if necessary, but it involves Civil Servants so is a real merry-go-round...

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
when i lmported my truck, the shipping company sent the title on to me
about a week after it was collected from the docks, as been said if every thing wasnt in order they wouldnt release it, i wouldnt worry too much

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
It is possible to export a vehicle from some states without a title. It does make things a lot easier here if you do have a title that's been stamped by US customs with something like "cleared for export" though.

You will definitely need the customs duty paid form or a duplicate to register the vehicle here.

Just one thing, are you sure that it hasn't been exported from the US and had UK duty paid as a parts vehicle? that could make registering it here rather messy and possibly expensive if you need to pay the difference in the import duty before you can register it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
, thanks to everyone, the chap is a rod rod guy and is on many of the forums,(including here) its coming from south california, and seams very genuine. under normal conditions i would wait until he has sorted it all out, but this would mean that he takes the vehicle home with him and i therefor stand the chance of other people having the chance to purchase. its been a long while looking and waiting.

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
, thanks to everyone, the chap is a rod rod guy and is on many of the forums,(including here) its coming from south california, and seams very genuine. under normal conditions i would wait until he has sorted it all out, but this would mean that he takes the vehicle home with him and i therefor stand the chance of other people having the chance to purchase. its been a long while looking and waiting.
Hi Dan,

If the man you are getting the car from is known amongst the Rodding community i would think there shouldn't be any problems.

You could always put a thread up along the lines of "I have just bought this from (insert name)" with a brief outline of the deal. If everything is above board the seller will have no complaints and in a week or so when everything is sorted you can then post how happy you are with the way the deal went.

From the sellers point of view it has to be good press which will instill confidence for others.

Totally different product and amount of money, but i put this thread up about a month ago when i bought an item from Kustom Jim, as we didn't know each other. This was my idea as i thought it could be employed in similar situations for other rodders and gave peace of mind for all concerned.

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6274

Cheers.

Russ.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,496 Posts
That's an excellent idea Russ. The few dodgy 'rodders' out there get away with due to word not getting out. I was 'transport' for a part for a well known rodder where I handed over the part to another middleman without cash which never turned up for the seller, I've had bounced cheques or plain shoddy shite sold to me in the past ,would be good to get some e bay style feedback to protect everyone involved in a deal.:tup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds like a great idear, ive got the seller calling me tonight, so pending how that all goes will put it all out there to see, if its a fair deal, then he should have no problem with me doing this. if he is upset then, its not all correct and above board. thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
looks like all is set, ;-) spoken to the seller / importer today and paperwork trail makes sence. so friday morning it is,...anyone got any pointers with looking at a 1953 chevy panel truck, its stock, was a daily runner in the us. Body work to pay attention to? engine / frame numbers?

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
If the panel is the same as a Chevy pickup the VIN plate will be on the Left hand A post in between the door hinges. The number isn't stamped on the frame AFAIK.

The main place to check for corrosion on the trucks are the cab corners/front of the cab floor where the two front body mounts go through the cab floor onto the chassis. The inside and outside bottom of the A pillars often corrode too. But on the whole these old trucks aren't prone to rusting badly unless they've spent their lives somewhere like the northern seaboard.

Good luck with it, put some pictures up if/when you are the proud owner.

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
these models don't have a VIN stamped into the chassis. I have known of a few rodders who have stamped the VIN into the chassis themselves to "assist" with the registration process, as it were

·
Registered
999 Posts
Hi,
hoping to bring home on this week an us import, which has just arived.

im hoping to collect this from the seller at the docs in london and is being sold with a clear tile and all import dutys paid.

the seller has informed me that the above are all correct but will not have the paperwork ready to hand over on collection

this is what the sell has sent me via e-mail;-
"just so you know i dont think they hand overthe title strait away,i seem to remember its posted on after a week or so(dont know why)and i also get sent the duty and vat reciept (c386)from customs head office(manchester)which i will post on to you,"

can anyone confirm if this is correct, ?

i have no reson to doubt the seller, but with paying out the money am a little worried that i am not getting all i need for the money.

thanks Dan
I dont know the rules & regs on importations, but I can definitly vouch for the seller if that makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
I don't know if the procedure varies from office to office but I use the Nottingham DVLA and have never had an inspection. I either go in person or post the paperwork and that's it.

The Registration Form is daunting but most questions relate to much newer vehicles. My attitude is that I have paid all the taxes and i want to use the car/truck but to be honest the staff have been nothing but helpful.

Rog.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,496 Posts
I don't know if the procedure varies from office to office but I use the Nottingham DVLA and have never had an inspection. I either go in person or post the paperwork and that's it.

The Registration Form is daunting but most questions relate to much newer vehicles. My attitude is that I have paid all the taxes and i want to use the car/truck but to be honest the staff have been nothing but helpful.

Rog.
Roger, it really does vary ,big time, from office to office. It helps to do your homework first , especially if the car /truck is modified and I can help guide people with the simplest easiest way through if they want to PM me.

Our local office inspects all imports that don't require SVA / BIVA and all number plate transfers from vehicles older than 1973.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
That's a great offer Kev, anybody importing especially for the first time would be sensible to take you up on that. The biggest problem, in my opinion is the Registration Form. Very little of it is relevant to 'old' cars and just confuses. The first time I had to fill one in I took it to the DVLA Office and they could not have been more helpful but that was in the days before Web Sites like this and knowledgeable people like you.

Merry Christmas, Rog.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,496 Posts
I've a long term history of involvement with DVLA and also dealing with registration issues , new or old cars. Over at ACE ( www.the-ace.org.uk) a group of us are watching changes and trying to provide support where we can. We'll shortly be adding info re the DVLA rules and regs and a ,hopefully, more understandable version of how the regs all work.

It's amazing how just making sure you get a one piece of paper from a previous owner can make life so much simpler :tup:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
the reason the title gets posted is that the shippers office can be in one town(port)and the vehicle is unloaded/stored in another,kingstown are based in hull but you pickup your vehicle from chatham docks,and also the customs are now based in manchester(head office)so the c386 has to come from them,,this is how it was for me last year

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.