Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,143 Posts
Yup, totally agree EXCEPT it is/was possibly the indie mags that are responsible for the demise of R&C? The problem with indie mags is that there is often only small profit ( if at all) and are run mostly on enthusiasm over common sense.If a large mag makes a profit it will always be there , if enthusiasm wains then the indies tend to disappear. Having been involved with editing/ producing /distributing the UKK Gazette back at the beginining I speak from experience. Just a handful of amateurs producing a 60-80 page quarterly little pages style mag is VERY time consuming.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Huge, huge respect for Pat Ganahl. I've always enjoyed anything written by him. ( I even met him once, but that's another story ) Carefully researched, informative and historically accurate anything he writes or says should be listened to. I think he's right about the R&C logo being the best in the business, let's hope that someone is savvy enough to purchase the rights to it and maybe it will return one day as a 'boutique publication'.
I have to admit that I stopped buying R&C regularly after PG left, and now just get The Rodders Journal where I can still enjoy reading his articles. At the end of the day I want to read, and am happy to pay a premium price for, all the historic stuff and study the quality photographs rather than look at a 'parts catalogue' which is what R&C and Street Rodder have become.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,143 Posts
being a 'Parts catalogue' is what pays the bills unfortunately :( A lot of peoepl didn't want to pay the going rate for Rodders Journal back when it started and it nearly folded, that's why original copies fetch good money now. Excellent coffee table magazine though I no longer buy it and I've sold all my back copies ( to fund real cars ! ) and don't buy any magazines other than Custom Car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts