Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the correct tyres to run on a gasser style car that would have raced in 1964? and are they available now?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
560x15 fronts and 11x29x15 pie crust slicks would be my guess. I'll ask Don Montgomery on saturday to see what he ran back then.

·
Registered
634 Posts
we all ran 60 x 15 crossplies when we started the gasser circus with some sort of cheater slick on the back. Give me a call if I can help with what I ran on the old falcon,
Miles

·
Who promised you tomorrow
2,579 Posts
Think MikeyBoy has it. In 1964 they were running Piecrusts and changed over to M&H etc etc in later 60's. For skinny 17's bike tyres were used. Is it a road going car as cheater slicks dont cut it with Mr Plod:incheek: I was having mine fitted today and Mr Plod who came in whilst i was there gave me a 10 minute lecture about their lack of tread. I told him it was a race car and as it says on the side, "Drag racing use only". Muppet:finger:
There are plenty you can choose from but start saving cause they certainly arn't cheap!!! What wheels are you using as thats just as important as the tyre???

Good luck, Dan

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I`ve got some 4x15 slot mags for the front and have 10x15 for the rear but thought they may be a bit big, waiting for pics of some 81/2x15s I think may look better?

·
Registered
337 Posts
dude i can get them from the states i race with the east coast gassers when i am over there with my 300e van

cheers john

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Don Montgomery said he used 11" slicks on 16 inch rims.On the front he said 600x15 or volkswagen tyres.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
If your going for period correct and dig deep into the rules .................... What i found was a little bit of info that says the tread width shouldnt be any wider than 12" (even the N50s i brought from you were too wide) but from that id also say as the term was tread id say that they were not slicks

But different classes different rules for different years so if it were be id go for something useable and what you feel looks rite (is it for street use or just race use)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts