Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
i'm looking for a 1950s period motor and trans to drop into my Mercury. I have looked at early hemis but 10-12 to the gallon make me think twice. I've thought about nailheads but am coming around to a 60's 327 with tri power mated to a manual or auto box.
I may even consider putting a nice flathead in (like the one i regret taking out in the early 90s)
I want a period crate motor and box i can simply drop in the car, does anyone know where i can get one. I'm not after performance but more the right look.
Any pointers would be appreciated
Best
Neil

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
What about a 283 ?, you could fake it up with a dual quad manifold to look like a factory 270hp motor from the late 50's , add a 30-30 cam for a real screamer ... finding a couple of WCFB's might be a stumbling block though ?

Pic stolen from the HAMB

·
fixin your car
935 Posts
iv got a 350 chev with th350 in my 50 merc' project, with rear exit manifolds,
the isues are that the trans tunnel plate doesn't fit because the box is a little to high and comes into the cabin area a little, and the fuel pump needs to be blanked off as the pump hits the front x member / chassis,
as for options ? i think you have just missed out on a nice Y block with tri carb but ask marco of juarez incase he still has it.
and there is a flathead 8 that's sitting in a merc' both look realy nice.
but that's just my opinion, if you want to go chev' with twin carb as in the pic' above i have a manifold for sale, PM me if you are interested,

i hope this helps

·
Paint it or Lose it
737 Posts
i think you have just missed out on a nice Y block with tri carb but ask marco of juarez incase he still has it.
and there is a flathead 8 that's sitting in a merc' both look realy nice.

Both are gone! were swapping the flatty in the merc for a crate 350 fairly simply conversion so far

·
Registered
716 Posts
ive had most of em, best one is what im doing at the mo, small block chev, scripted rockers, offy tripower, and a genarator, looks old but with easy to get hold of parts (not like the 390 cad) and plenty of power or lose the tripower and put a pair of 97s with a vintage speed adapter

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
If you want to get there and get home again without trouble use a chevy !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts