Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi found this when looking through ebay today could be all ready posted somewere on hear but if not it could well be worth puting your name too for future projects you mite get
Whilst I have your attention, may I ask you to please copy/paste the link below to sign a petition (proper government site, no con and no cost), to Re-introduce a 30 year rolling vehicle excise duty exemption scheme, for classic vehicles. For too long now the tax exemption of classic cars has been frozen, to only apply to those manufactured before 1973. History did not simply stop in 1972. These are not cars which are driven everyday but rather on sunny weekends, to attend enthusiast shows etc.. It is vitally important that we help to preserve this important part of British motoring history.

Restore a rolling 30 year-old exemption to VED, for classic vehicles - e-petitions

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
It is vitally important that we help to preserve this important part of British motoring history.
Fully agree with you on this part Mac. But I won't be signing the petition. I do have cars which have "free" road tax, but I'd be happier being one of the road tax paying crowd for the simple reason that it will be far easier for the authorities to restrict use of cars which have "free" tax than for those where road tax is being being paid for.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that a fair point, but theres a fair chance that if it stays the same, the cars from 73 onwards wont be around for future generations to see. let alone restore, with the price of metals,banger boys, etc. there needs to be an incentive for the cars to be kept.and being exempt from tax gives some of them that litte edge, for some one to mabe give it another chance , mind you i cant see me wanting to restore a nissan notey or a corsa in my life thats for sure, but some muppet whos 16 now, when hes in his 40s he will, be a shame if there aint no cars he remembers in his boy racing days left at all. plus theres no better feeling than not paying tax would you not agree

·
Registered
520 Posts
but we should be carefull with this, they may turn round and say from now on all cars will be taxed and we will lose out !!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have also decided to not sign it , don't get me wrong I would prefer not to pay for road tax but if it came to a trade off i.e no tax but more restrictions dictating where and when I can use my own car then I would choose to pay the £215 that I now pay for 12 months road tax ( Approx 59p per day) I see this a small price to pay for a little more personal freedom. I also think the free tax would benefit owners with standard cars a lot more than the guys with altered classics.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,276 Posts
IMO 'Free' road tax was the single worst thing ever to happen to rodding . For too many people it has become the Holy Grail of ownership .

"These are not cars which are driven everyday... " , keep banging that drum and see what happens :tdown:

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Hi All,

:shake: I wonder who thought that up "Restore a rolling 30 year-old exemption to VED". There never was a rolling 30 year-old exemption in the first place.

Cheers.

Thought I was seeing things when I spotted the thread, it's funny how we were talking about the same thing earlier, the for's and against of tax exemption.

When I was talking to Russ earlier, and going on about multi car ownership and how tax exemption was really handy for small collections. We talked about the option of the owner being taxed, with the idea all cars would not be on the road at the same time, so you would not be wearing the roads away or causing any other kind of damage that the tax is to cover. I suppose it could be done like a trade plate kind of thing but for pleasure use, and you would have to let the powers that be, know what vehicles would be driven using the plates and inform them if you changed any vehicles. Simular to informing insurance companys what cars you have with a traders policy. No intention of pinching the thread ment.

You are right Mac, there does need to be an incentive to keep older cars on the road, you don't see many mid 70s to late 80s stuff on the road anymore. If you think about it when was the last time you've seen a MK4/5 Cortina or a MK2 Cavalier, there used to be 2 or 3 of each, at least, in every street at one time, very rarely see them now and they are the most popular cars I can think of. Mark :shake

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
Hi All,

:shake: I wonder who thought that up "Restore a rolling 30 year-old exemption to VED". There never was a rolling 30 year-old exemption in the first place.

Cheers.

Russ.
If I remember correctly it was a rolling 25 year thing, Labour got in and cut it off at 1973.

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
Frankly I'm amazed the exemption has survived in the form it has up to now. Every year at budget time I keep expecting it to be revoked, yet somehow it never is. It makes me suspect that it's been forgotten about. By drawing attention to the policy now, when the treasury needs every penny they can find you may get exactly the opposite to what you want- ie Parliament will revoke the VED exemption and classic/hot rod drivers will have to pay the full amount as for an equivalent post '72 car.

Think about how this would seem to Mr and Mrs average struggling to afford to keep their Astra, Megane, or what have you on the road. I imagine to many it would look like a privileged minority avoiding paying their fair share.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,276 Posts
When it was introduced there were 220,000 cars able to claim it. That figure is now 330,000 and growing by around 4-5000 per year. The FBHVCs recent survey is claiming 850,000 Historic vehicles ( this is the number IF the across Europe 30 year exemption were to be introduced ) .

The constant arguement used is a quantified figure of usage ( 1500km/900miles ) as as opposed to a generic " we don't drive that much " .

ACE obtained the figues of what vehicles in that 330,000 and the best part 250,000 would be capable of being daily driven cars .

With the Government FREELY offering MOT exemption for pre'60 I can possibly see a change on the back of it .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts