Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please can anyone advise if there is much of a difference between these two products.

Currently I am using Millers, but at the weekend I spotted this in Halfords, which for the amount of fuel it treats is about a third of the cost, but I am not sure if it is also an octane booster.
Its not so much the cost issue but more the convenience of having just one bottle to treat 250 litres of fuel.

Millers VSP Plus (250ml) £5.50 = 14p/Litre
Millers VSP Plus lead substitute and octane booster allows older (pre 1990 cars without catalyst converters) and all classic and vintage cars to run safely on unleaded petrol. VSP Plus adds up to 2 octane numbers to the base petrol, prevents pinking and running on and protects against valve seat recession (VSR). Endorsed by the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (FBHVC).
250ml bottle treats 40 litres.

Castrol Valvemaster 250ML £11.99 = 5p/Litre
Castrol Valvemaster 250ML lead replacement petrol additive (treats 250 litres) & offers the best protection after lead.

·
Registered
153 Posts
When all the additives were tested in practical classics mag, the castrol stuff came out best for valve seat protection, but it isn't an octane booster.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
This has set me thinking
should I be putting lead replacement
in my 57 with a 283 ???

·
www.53catalina.co.uk
2,454 Posts
depends how hard you drive the car. My old flathead ticks over at (s)low revs so ive never bothered. If you are high revving and drivng hard, then probably worthwhile using it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
VSP Plus adds up to 2 octane numbers to the base petrol,
I would check what they mean by 2 octane numbers, only IIRC it is 0.2 not 2.0, so 94 octane would become 94.2 not 96 .

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
King fast, what engine and year,and type of use.is it for your corvette as in your avatar.
Hi 55chev,

Yes it is for my Vette, which I am running so keeping the revs and speed down, but even when it has been fully run in I wont be thrashing around, just the odd blast once in a while.

Its a 4 bolt main big block with high performance pistons and cam, the 454 block has been replaced with a 427 and bored +.60, to maintain the Cui but now able to rev higher.
The guy who re built my engine last year said ideally I should run it on AvGas!

Rgds

Gary

·
Registered
12,496 Posts
Gary - go with Shell VPower - its the best pump gas - have you stock heads or aftermarket? - if stock were the heads re-built ? all stock yank engines built after 73/74 were suited for unleaded - ran my 68' with the 427 for years on unleaded with no issues (ok, so it was a 'cooking' engine and not hi-po)

·
Two Sauces and a Sausage!
1,642 Posts
Hi gary theres two seperate issues going on, one of octane and the other valve seat lubrication,mainly exaust seat.as for octane vpower super unnleaded is the best followed by BP,i ran 11-1 on the street for years just on vpower with no problems at all,in fact i experemented with moroso octane boost and others and they had no percieved effect, as for valve seat lubrication in 71 when the world started to go unnleaded there were some engines that had very soft valve seats mainly european engines,that seemed to scare everyone that there seats were going to wear out in a week, but this was not the case with most of the v8 american engines thats not to say none ever had a problem.some of the addatives are also a octane booster ,they normally contain potassium, sodium, phosphorous or manganese but they dont lubricate like lead used to.the seats in your engine if pre 71 were quite hard to start and will now of been through millions of heat cycles and are now even harder so i wouldnt worry about it if it were my car,a waste of money i think.but if you want peace of mind stick it in.:smoke: what compression have you got gary?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
depends how hard you drive the car. My old flathead ticks over at (s)low revs so ive never bothered. If you are high revving and drivng hard, then probably worthwhile using it.
Thanks mate
I wont bother with that then :tup:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your feedback on this, I a pleased to hear that its not a big deal if I run without any additives, but I will from now on try to stick with Shell VPower as suggested by Ross.

Rgds

Gary

p.s. 55chev, you engine is very impressive, spent some time looking at it one evening at the DT, what have you got in there.

·
Two Sauces and a Sausage!
1,642 Posts
Thanks for all your feedback on this, I a pleased to hear that its not a big deal if I run without any additives, but I will from now on try to stick with Shell VPower as suggested by Ross.

Rgds

Gary

p.s. 55chev, you engine is very impressive, spent some time looking at it one evening at the DT, what have you got in there.
Thank you! its a 555ci F2 PROCHARGED BLOW THROUGH AIR/WATER INTERCOOLED BBC.:smoke:

·
Registered
12,496 Posts
Is it me ? but Shell Vpower has a smell like the inside of a fish van:shake: jeez, it really pongs 'kin bad don't it ?:beuj::puke::scared::wtf:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I use Unipart octain booster, only £2.74 a bottle from my local motor factors, does 50 ltrs of unleaded, never ever had a problem, 12.5-1 comp engine love it :tup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts