Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all quick question think Im over thinking the thinking of this dilemma :incheek:

for a return pipe going from the carb to your petrol tank, has the pipe got to at the middle to bottom so air bubbles go up and make petrol fart bubbles or from the top to middle and dribbling out liked a old man saying i have a Cortina once ?
and the return pipe should be half the size of inlet
thanks

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Put the return at the top of the tank on the opposite side to the outlet and if possible angle it so it hits the wall of the tank and it runs down. I used a 45* bulkhead fitting for this. This eliminates aerating the fuel. If you put the return at the bottom a full tank has weight (pressure) & you may not have enough return pressure to get the fuel back to the tank.

If its a NA engine just use a small line. If its a blown or turbo set up at MINIMUM use the same diameter fuel line for the return as you used for the feed.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put the return at the top of the tank on the opposite side to the outlet and if possible angle it so it hits the wall of the tank and it runs down. I used a 45* bulkhead fitting for this. This eliminates aerating the fuel. If you put the return at the bottom a full tank has weight (pressure) & you may not have enough return pressure to get the fuel back to the tank.

If its a NA engine just use a small line. If its a blown or turbo set up at MINIMUM use the same diameter fuel line for the return as you used for the feed.
hello adam thanks for the reply so am I just doing this sounds easy and the pipe from the wall is about 2-3mm ?

·
richard rawlplug
8,115 Posts
Petrol return..??

Your not putting the throttle down hard enough mate..:lol:

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's fine when I'm running bit once I stop and that petrol pump stops pumping I can hard launch as it ten gets no petrol

·
Registered
523 Posts
Think your problem could be to do with where the pump is mounted, if it was mounted at the back gravity feed from the tank it would then push the fuel to the front but with it mounted high up on the inner wing its trying to pull the fuel. I could be talking crap mind :bah:

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Think your problem could be to do with where the pump is mounted, if it was mounted at the back gravity feed from the tank it would then push the fuel to the front but with it mounted high up on the inner wing its trying to pull the fuel. I could be talking crap mind :bah:
yes bergy but told would be ok but that's another story doing this return pipe and relocating the pump down bottom but at the moment the old morris minor SU pump is great at 80mph on the motoway :D

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Put the return as far away from the feed outlet as possible ie the other side of the tank.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,094 Posts
yes bergy but told would be ok but that's another story doing this return pipe and relocating the pump down bottom but at the moment the old morris minor SU pump is great at 80mph on the motoway :D
I hope that's a joke ? 1.5 psi pump used in a performance application ? What engine are you running?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts