Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
just been looking at what is needed for the biva test, at first it seems a bit mind blowing but if andy can get red victor through it then surely it cant be that bad.my hat goes of to you andy .:tup:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,199 Posts
The thing with the manual is the way it's written to 'clarify' ...which it doesn't do ;) Probably a 1/3 is MOT specs , another 1/3 is Construction and use regs and the remaining 1/3 the stuff we are not used to . I've known bike builders who were doing their utmost to avoid using MSVA but once they were through one started to put everything through as they didn't realise how ( relatively) simple it was.

Trust me , as more do it, especially to stuff that most believe can't be done , ie Red Victor just for starters more will start to realise it can done and teh longer term benefits:)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Kev,

If a car is put through the BIVA test what reg number is it given, is it a 'Q' plate?. If so, can this number be changed for an ageless plate at a later date?.

Thanks, Frank

·
Banned
4,274 Posts
Kev,

If a car is put through the BIVA test what reg number is it given, is it a 'Q' plate?. If so, can this number be changed for an ageless plate at a later date?.

Thanks, Frank
have another look at the cars that have been tested at the start of this thread , if you use a donor car for two major components ie say engine and box you can use that paperwork to get your new reg the same year as that donor than if wanted as in the case of my truck transfer on a private reg when ever you like.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,199 Posts
Just to clarify you don't get THE donor book plate but you get a plate to the same age as the donor .

If you want to retain the ORIGINAL reg from a vehicle you should MOT and transfer that off first .Once through the test with a non Q you can the transfer it back on.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,199 Posts
There are ways to do all manner of things ,for instance with Portlands Pop his was a re-chassis and rebuild of an existing vehicle so ended up with a dateless plate issued directly to the car as donor components were supplied by a 'dateless' car :)

·
Rod'a'holic
1,045 Posts
There are ways to do all manner of things ,for instance with Portlands Pop his was a re-chassis and rebuild of an existing vehicle so ended up with a dateless plate issued directly to the car as donor components were supplied by a 'dateless' car :)
So just to clarify, If I have a standard car and V5c historic dateless in this case and I change the engine and box for a modern one and list that on the V5C before work starts, I can use the body shell on a new chassis and I will be given different historic dateless plate.

How does that work with proving age and emissions of the engine if it is in fact a 1992 pre cat engine for example on a 1940's log book.

I know road tax will still be charged.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,199 Posts
You like to complicate things don't you Rich?! LOL They will want to see a taxation history of use with that engine and box otherwise everyone would be doing it ,in fact lots did that's why they want to see taxation history as proof of use.;) Age and emissions would require the normal proof to that engine.

·
Nowheresville
3,056 Posts
So can you use an old '60s donor that is pretty much scrap or does it need to have a current MOT, etc.? I assume it needs a current V5c but that would be forthcoming if you bought something that still had an old blue log book, but then the PLG/historic status might come into play?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,199 Posts
Yup, you can use an old car as a donor for your two major components likelihood of it matching most peoples requirements are a bit thin though? Yes it would need a current V5C and also taxation history with the donor engine fitted IF you are using those as major components rather than say front and rear axles which if original to vehicle would be fine . ie they have a date when engine is fitted so they want to see it taxed and used after that. it doesn't affect the requirments for emissions though which are still based on PROVEN engine age .

·
Nowheresville
3,056 Posts
Yes, it would be hard to find the ideal donor, but I was thinking for example crashed '65 Mustang, not recorded but not used since 1979. I realise that silly current prices make this an unlikely donor but it is a good example: the V8 engine, gearbox and rear axle would be great if the body was bent and rusted out. Likewise, and perhaps more likely, a rusted out Daimler 2.5 Mk2 :)

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,199 Posts
Yup, good thinking Andy. Likewise buying an old abandoned unloved day van or some 4 door Yank saloon is a good way to get engine box and v5C .

·
Grown up? Never!
2,171 Posts
I take it if you don't have a v5 for a doner it's not a problem, you just end up with a Q plate? (I won't have 2 major components from the same car anyway )

Chaley

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,199 Posts
Yup, if you have a mix of parts twith no donor V5c then it's Q plate .For some they really don't want that so a bit of careful planning can prevent it happening . 3 of mine are Q plated , all drive just as much fun as any of my others have ;)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Kev, is an engine dating certificate from British Motor Heritage for a Rover v8 engine still sufficient proof of engine date for BIVA?

41 - 60 of 68 Posts