Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got back from Antons workshop after his Buick V6 powered T got delivered back from HRD on a lowloader. Off the lorry at 9.30 and by 10.30 the cam had ben checked over and the sump off to discover LOTS of end float .Slivers of metal in the sump so looks like thrust washers have been eaten, engine's coming our Moday for a good going through.

Anyone know where we are likely to get hold of a decent manual for it ,1978 Formula Skyhawk ?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put a small block Chevy in it Kev? Less hassle and less expense surely...
He's just spent a small fortune on top end on this ,and that was after upgrading from a '73 oddfire to this lump. I did try to talk him into a more 'normal small block before he did the swap over but he wanted to stick with it cos it was different.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, that's the one Russ though it's had a huge going through. The old oddfire was still going strong ( in fact it's under the bench as a back up ) but tuning bits are hard to come by hence the swap to an evenfire.

·
Registered
695 Posts
thought that was the one Kev, doesn`t he use it pretty much all year round, is that the same engine thats in the astro they seem to be abundant and for sale breaking etc.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It shares driving chores with his Mk3 Zody and usually does around 4-5000 miles a year in it.He gets around 33 mpg so not to be sneezed at . Don't know re the Astro ?

This engine only cost £150 and we knew it was gamble as to how long it lasted especially when the tuning gear was fitted.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
A slight aside here.. Could someone educate me please, Oddfire & Evenfire?

I'm sure it's obvious but it's been a long day...:shake:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At least you credited the info Steve ;) I have to say I preferred the sound of the oddfire, very distinctive, like a V6 Harley . The evenfire formed the base for some seriously quick cars like the turbo Grand Nationals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts