Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well yrs ago 1996 when protouring was starting out, there was a mod to the front suspension of 1st gen camaros by fitting 85 corvette spindles ,so being as a friend imported parts i went that route and was supplied with 96 spindles which i was told were the same but when coming to fit them found the arms needed modifying so made tube uppers and altered lowers but was not happy on how to make adjustments which was a pain,fast forward 2013,found a set of 85 spindle and 67 camaro A arms supplied free from member on here :tup: ,so after getting bits made and fitted to 85 ,and these cause major bumpsteer :wtf:,so went and dug out article and found he pie cut the lower control arms to cure it . I think I know what he mean but needed confirming, think its ¬_ so it not a butt weld there a step in the cut so you get 4 time the weld joint

·
Nowheresville
3,085 Posts
Pie cutting is where you cut a V-shaped wedge out of the workpiece, bend it to close the gap, then weld it back up. For example, if you pie cut Model A chassis rails just in front of the firewall you effectively bend the front of the chassis up, to lower the middle (body) section.

The step cut you talk about would be used if you were narrowing a beam axle. If it was just cut straight through vertically and welded there would be a relatively small cross-sectional area of weld, but if you did a step cut it you would get a much larger cross-section of weld, making a much stronger joint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts