Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fitting a re-bracketed Scimitar (Jag Mk2) Axle to the original leaf springs in my Austin A70.

So what angle should I set the Drive flange/pinion angle to?

The original Austin axle had lever arm shocks and the Scimitar used pretty much vertical coil over units. Is there any science behind choosing a shock angle or unit? I was going to use something off a Ford Sierra/scorpio (or even a spring-less Scimitar unit as I have 4 of those).

Are banded steel rims fit for purpose these days, or a disaster waiting to happen?

Comments welcome, especially helpful ones ;-)

Thanks

Gareth

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,124 Posts
Diff pinion angle should be equal and opposite to engine angle when EVERYTHING is loaded on chassis included interior / glass/ water oil etc. Shocker needs to not bottom out before suspension has full load Normally angled so that on cornering forces go through shocker in a straight line . Difference science entirely in coilover selection and mounting though.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diff pinion angle should be equal and opposite to engine angle when EVERYTHING is loaded on chassis included interior / glass/ water oil etc. Shocker needs to not bottom out before suspension has full load Normally angled so that on cornering forces go through shocker in a straight line . Difference science entirely in coilover selection and mounting though.
Thanks, especially the cornering bit. Coilover shocks would be coil-less, i.e. just re-using the shocker....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts