Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best pinion angle for hookin up ?

In the consul i think i have too much as it wont spin the wheels
(either that or not enough power)
But it was starts to let loose half way through the rev range or was that due to the ladder bars ?

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
Whats the best pinion angle for hookin up ?

In the consul i think i have too much as it wont spin the wheels
(either that or not enough power)
But it was starts to let loose half way through the rev range or was that due to the ladder bars ?
vince, i,m a bit confused mate, what is it you want it to do? spin or hook:?:
as for power,,, ask andy frost, he,s somewhat of an authority on power,[along wiv a few others] personally i dont think there is such a thing as to much power, its converting it to forward motion where the fun starts:tup:

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
so what your saying is the initial launch is fine with little or no spin then the car breaks loose, am i in the ballpark? ok as i never seen yer car[except in pics]i,m gonna ask some dumb questions,
auto or manual,
what engine,
what sort of power you making,
any gas, wild cam,
what sort of axle, open/locked diff,
are you still on ladder bars if so what lenth,
is just one wheel breaking loose, or both,

sorry for so many questions but me brain works in a kinda weird way, anything you think might be relevant, chuck it in the mix:tup:

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
auto or manual,
what engine,
what sort of power you making,
any gas, wild cam,
what sort of axle, open/locked diff,
are you still on ladder bars if so what lenth,
is just one wheel breaking loose, or both,

:
And i thought youd know that and i would be on your list but if you having to ask then i must be ok for a lil while ..............:pmsl:

No Spin (not even in the wet with nylon tryes)
auto
305 chev
probably no more than 150
350 cam
9" open
ladder bars 24" straight (as per leaf springs)
im thinking 1 but too busy shitting myself to know for sure :pmsl: (gets a lil squirely)
:tup:

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
right, so heres what i,m seeing, no offence vince,[you know i luv ya car right?] but were not talking a lotta horses here so therefore i think it yer rear end setup, i,m once again mystified as to 24" ladder bars, same as the springs? now ladder bars have 2 fixing points on the axle,and 1 to the chassis[usually somewhere up front, as you have a straight axle on the front i,de be looking at somewhere close to the rear spring mount of the front spring] fuck i hope this all makes sense! normally with this setup youde be running coils, so not sure what youve got? can you clarify:tup:

checked the list, your not on it.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When i made the ladder bars they were made to replace the leaf spring and use the front mounting location hence the length and the "as per" part of my reply

Same as the springs the ladder bars mounted the axle in the stock location (now im getting confused :beuj:)

As you say, im running coil over spax at present with them wound right off or as hard as hell it makes no odds

I know this sound really stupid but the reason for the original question was im replacing the "too short ladder bars" with something that i know will work (leaf springs) a step backward but more streetable than ladderbarswhen your as high as me

And the problem lies with where you say not a lot of power this may/will be changing over the winter (funds allowing) and with the extra bit of uuumph id like to get it sorted now

Make anymore sense ?

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
When i made the ladder bars they were made to replace the leaf spring and use the front mounting location hence the length and the "as per" part of my reply

Same as the springs the ladder bars mounted the axle in the stock location (now im getting confused :beuj:)

As you say, im running coil over spax at present with them wound right off or as hard as hell it makes no odds

I know this sound really stupid but the reason for the original question was im replacing the "too short ladder bars" with something that i know will work (leaf springs) a step backward but more streetable than ladderbarswhen your as high as me

And the problem lies with where you say not a lot of power this may/will be changing over the winter (funds allowing) and with the extra bit of uuumph id like to get it sorted now

Make anymore sense ?
yes perfectly understood now, and i have worked out the problem,
1st off, the diff flange and the gearbox flange need to be parallel,[they can be different hieghts], imagine two straight lines one through the pinion and one through the crank,obviously the limits have to be governed by the u/j,s angle.
2nd, ladder bars way too short,
3rd,short[see above] ladderbars and high pickup point[chassis mount] will make for violent hookup to start with but will then there will not be enough load transfer to keep the tyres planted,hence squirrely at the top end,[ring any bells]
4th, if you make them too long you get exessive tyre shake and body squat .
the problem with ladder bars is they need to be adjustable for every situation,[somewhat a problem with our roads] this is possible on the strip,but nigh on imfuckinpossible just on any average road in the uk.
so what we gonna do[answers on a postcard to vince305 c/o r"n"s
me,,,,, i,d 4 bar or 4 link it, if your looking to improve power, get it to handle first,[cos i dont want you down here for a very long time]:twisted::tup:
vince it ocoured to me if you go back to leaf springs i devised a very good traction bar setup that is extemely streetable,[i must learn how to put pics an drawings on this thing]

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vince what ratio diff have you got??
Only mile munching 2.75:1s Tone :tup:

yes perfectly understood now, and i have worked out the problem,
1st off, the diff flange and the gearbox flange need to be parallel,[they can be different hieghts], imagine two straight lines one through the pinion and one through the crank,obviously the limits have to be governed by the u/j,s angle.
2nd, ladder bars way too short,
3rd,short[see above] ladderbars and high pickup point[chassis mount] will make for violent hookup to start with but will then there will not be enough load transfer to keep the tyres planted,hence squirrely at the top end,[ring any bells]
4th, if you make them too long you get exessive tyre shake and body squat .
the problem with ladder bars is they need to be adjustable for every situation,[somewhat a problem with our roads] this is possible on the strip,but nigh on imfuckinpossible just on any average road in the uk.
so what we gonna do[answers on a postcard to vince305 c/o r"n"s
me,,,,, i,d 4 bar or 4 link it, if your looking to improve power, get it to handle first,[cos i dont want you down here for a very long time]:twisted::tup:
vince it ocoured to me if you go back to leaf springs i devised a very good traction bar setup that is extemely streetable,[i must learn how to put pics an drawings on this thing]
Have you ever seen "Bill n Ted's bogus adventure" where they most excellently beat Mr G Reaper

Well thats how i feel Mr Satan (as you missed the part where i said i was fitting leaf springs)

Any idea on the Best pinion angle for leaf springs .................... please :pmsl:

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your pinion angle is determined by your gearbox flange (oooer missis) angle Vince
I CAN make that adjustable too Tone lol

Ill pass ya in the outside lane :pmsl:

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
Only mile munching 2.75:1s Tone :tup:

Have you ever seen "Bill n Ted's bogus adventure" where they most excellently beat Mr G Reaper

Well thats how i feel Mr Satan (as you missed the part where i said i was fitting leaf springs)

Any idea on the Best pinion angle for leaf springs .................... please :pmsl:
vince, it dont matter what springs you got, pinion angle should be parallel, but ya need to sort out a bit more than that by the sound of it? unless ya like sitting in ya own shit as you cross the line:pmsl::pmsl::twisted:

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats debatable ............... We spend a lot of time working out the correct angle via the carb base but how many roads are that level that the base remains level ..........................

Take rock climbers for example

How will the carb base being level help that ................. :incheek:

Or pinion angle come to think of it :pmsl:

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
Thats debatable ............... We spend a lot of time working out the correct angle via the carb base but how many roads are that level that the base remains level ..........................

Take rock climbers for example

How will the carb base being level help that ................. :incheek:

Or pinion angle come to think of it :pmsl:
so if you know all this why are you asking???????????

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
2.75:1s with 150 ish bhp ?? and it wont wheelspin why ? :D

sorry Vince, couldnt resist and i really did try :tup:

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
2.75:1s with 150 ish bhp ?? and it wont wheelspin why ? :D

sorry Vince, couldnt resist and i really did try :tup:
no, it does wheelspin but at the wrong end of the track:pmsl:

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was just going to say .............. It must sound like im argumentative and a know it all "

But knowing it all doesnt help if in practice it doesnt work :sniff:

And at present my car dont work and im planning on doing things right this time so before i change to the bigblock i wanted to get everything else right first like you said

Even if it means changing everything (including engine angle) in the process :tup:

Hence my original question :tup:

Thanks for your advice tho i am enjoying the responses (who says you cant have fun and learn at the same time) :tup:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts