Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’ve got 2L pinto in my pop, it was running fine then suddenly ran out of fuel, although it has plenty, so I presumed it was the fuel pump, so I have changed it for a new one but the pump isn’t sucking the fuel through, I have seen comments regarding the spacer and gaskets. Any advice would be appreciate thanks

·
Premium Member
3,584 Posts
I would take it off and make sure it is sucking first. It would not be the first new one that was no good. Just had a look in the manual and 5 tells you about refitting the pump. Now if you follow 5d you might find the pipe/hose to the tank is blocked.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ive checked the pipe to the tank that’s all good, I did try the pump out before I fitted it, it seems fine, my only thought is it’s not connecting with the auxiliary shaft

·
Premium Member
15,051 Posts
check it's 'pushrod/spring/plunger' length with the old one to see if they're the same. did the old one have the spacer/gasket? if the new pump's shorter it probably won't need it. if they're the same another thing to try is pull the pipe off the carb and suck fuel through the new pump to 'prime' it, that may be all it needs to work.
neil.

·
Registered
Loxley Lozenge
305 Posts
You say you have plenty petrol. Do you have fuel running out of the pipe if you disconnect the input pipe to the pump.
In most instances, the tank will be higher than the pipe running forward to the engine, so hold the input pipe lower, and fuel should run out. That's where I would start anyway.

·
Premium Member
15,051 Posts
You say you have plenty petrol. Do you have fuel running out of the pipe if you disconnect the input pipe to the pump.
In most instances, the tank will be higher than the pipe running forward to the engine, so hold the input pipe lower, and fuel should run out. That's where I would start anyway.
and if it doesn't run out, blow back into the tank to see if you hear bubbles. the pickup may not reach the bottom because of damage, bad design or rust on the tube.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts