Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question.....What is the safest amount you can skim a Pinto head to raise the compression with out doing any damage to the pistons.....Nothing drastic as I don't wish to use it for racing ..

·
Registered
39 Posts
On past experience with this motor, there are so many varations on block and head, even cams vary, unless you can identify all the bits, as I have come across all sorts of mixs from 205 bottom ends with early unleaded heads too inj heads on transit bottoms.

So to be safe I would do a mock build first and plasti gauge, if using a vernier use full advance then retard so no contact if timing a cam in. once turned over thickness of plastigauge will give v/v to piston clearance, then work out amount you can skim allowing for expansion. 20 thou imo is ok.

Or buy the vizard book, it is pretty good.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,348 Posts
You SHOULD get speeding tickets my old green Capri was a flyer fitted with same spec Pinto. Do you have a vacuum gauge you could rig up? It tells you more than you could possibly imagine about how the engine is running and any internal faults.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You SHOULD get speeding tickets my old green Capri was a flyer fitted with same spec Pinto. Do you have a vacuum gauge you could rig up? It tells you more than you could possibly imagine about how the engine is running and any internal faults.
Kev funny you should mention that that's one of the gauges I have installed the other is an oil pressure ...

The vacuum gauge says its running excellent and I have good oil pressure too...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts