Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi Gang,
I'm planning to instal a Ford 2.0L OHC Pinto engine into my French-built 1950 Matford-Ford woodie.

I recently hiked the engine and trans out of a donor 1989 Sierra but although it has a carburettor there are still masses of wires, plugs, connectors and even some form of ECU. I wanted to keep things simple and was wondering if I really need all this gumbins, especially the ECU??

I'm on the Middx/Berks border and was wondering if there is anybody fairly local who has either 'Popped in a Pinto' or is about to that I could possibly visit and pick up some tips.

Colin

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,124 Posts
Don't think it has a carb but rather a single point injection system? I've never seen spi in the flesh, only in a service manual, didn't think they fitted them to the Pinto ? Do you have a photo of the engine?

You can of course convert it to carb and standalone dizzy but the injection system really isn't that difficult to fit. You leave all teh wiring as is and it comes down to 3 leads to make it all work from memory , a constant live, a switched live and an earth.

You're welcome to come and look at my set up and I'll talk you through what needs to be done.

Nice Matford as well :tup:

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I think the single point injection was on the CVH engines if memory serves me well!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to take so long to respond...been struggling to get a rear brake drum off.

So the carb on the Pinto was a Weber 32/34 DFTH and it turns out the the module is for control the choke stepper motor (or some such b.llox) so I've purchased a new Weber 32/32 DMTL weber which has amanual choke.

If you have a Pinto lump in your car Id like to whizz down the M3 and take a peak...

Colin

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
If it has an electronic ignition it will have a module/amplifier mounted on the drivers side inner wing, is that what you have? If you had EFI I have made a simplefied wiring diagram that makes the job a piece of p155.

Gary.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Gary,
Hows the A40...didn't think you still had it?

Attached are a couple of shots of the module which I'm tryiong to decide if I need. It has a large multi-pin plug that goes into the loom, but according to the workshop manual it only seems to power to stepper motor on the old carb, which I'pm replacing.

The donor car is a mint low mileage 1989 2.0L Sierra which is going to be re-engineed and put back on the road so I'pm loath to needlessly start hacking the loom to keep the multi pin plug, so am looking for suggestions.

Colin

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Hi Gary,

The donor car is a mint low mileage 1989 2.0L Sierra which is going to be re-engineed and put back on the road so I'pm loath to needlessly start hacking the loom to keep the multi pin plug, so am looking for suggestions.

Colin

[
Given that you want to keep as much as possible to re-install in Sierra, I would be tempted to just get another distributor, either electronic one off Transit or a points one, and drop it in. The carb is already sorted, as you have stated, so apart from auxilliaries like starter and alternator, I can't think of anything else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts