Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all hes a question for the engine people :D
well on my V6 i have some bore wore corused by the piston rings on the down stroke so deeper cut on outside and less on the inside tried taking a picture and was just failed
so how much wear is to much ?
as a scooter mechanic id say get the new pistons and bore it ££££££££ yeah

it would be really nice and helpful if someone lived around brum and could have a little look for me for your/there opinion
free tea coffee and biscuits lol thanks

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
it's not the level of wear it's how out of round the cylinder will be from wearing on one side. If you just put new rings in you'll either lose compression (blow by) or possibly break rings when running it from piston slap. Get your machinist to measure it with a bore gauge, it might be savable with honing alone, but given you can see this for yourself, I'd bet it'll need an overbore.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
There used to be a liquid you could put in the engine and it would reseal the cyl ,used it a few yrs ago a it worked asked about it a few weeks ago in some places but they had not heard of it.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just if me heads are off id do it properly, i dont know how much wear there should be but its a 2.8 v6 so its gonna of been full throttled not driven by grandad lol just means ill have more time to sit in the car and make noises lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts