Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a concreted area between the garage and the house. It's big enough to comfortably part a vehicle in. I'd like to have something to keep the rain off, so I was thinking of putting a few timbers up and roofing it with clear plastic corrugated panels. The garage is on one side, the house on the other, the back has a brick structure with a flat roof that has the heating oil tank under it. The front would be open to the drive way.

Anyone know if I'd be required to get planning for this?

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,741 Posts
I've just been through this one myself. Technically as long as you have two open sides and the roof is below a certain sq. metre you don't need permission. A door does not count as an open side.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't suppose you'd know how many square metres? I was planning to have one side totally open. I guess I could leave a gap between the house and the car port, so that's two sides open.

I understood that temporary structures were free of planning permission requirements - anyone know what qualifies a structure as temporary?

·
Stay cool, admit nothing
1,836 Posts
There's a fella round my way who's got two old yanks in his front yard under tarps. He's just put a load of scaffolding on the front of his house with boards extending out 20ft over the cars. Quite a neat trick, I thought. Not sure what the neighbours make of it.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
We have a concreted area between the garage and the house. It's big enough to comfortably part a vehicle in. I'd like to have something to keep the rain off, so I was thinking of putting a few timbers up and roofing it with clear plastic corrugated panels. The garage is on one side, the house on the other, the back has a brick structure with a flat roof that has the heating oil tank under it. The front would be open to the drive way.

Anyone know if I'd be required to get planning for this?
don't know for sure but I'd say just build it. I don't think you need planning for conservatories etc so I can't see a car port being an issue

·
phantom raspberry blower
792 Posts
you may need planning for a conservatory it depends on size and position. Regarding the car port if the garage is existing and you are building between the garage and the house you shouldn't need planning BUT to make sure check with your local planning office they should have a duty planning officer to advise you.

·
Flange Dealer
642 Posts
Call the planning office & ask them. They are usually happy to give advice as it saves them a lot of grief at a later date! Ring first thing in the morning though , before they all dissappear off inspecting footings.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I understood that temporary structures were free of planning permission requirements - anyone know what qualifies a structure as temporary?[/QUOTE]

i think something classed as a temporary structure can only stay up for 6 months

·
Registered
139 Posts
You really need to go onto your local council website. Im gonna do the same and it seems round by me its 30 sq meters and a max height of 8ft and about 2 metres at least from the road. But im not taking to much notice lol :tup:

·
Registered
610 Posts
I put up a 20' X 18' sectional concrete garage 18 years ago. The Council said it was classed as a temporary structure as it can be dismantled and removed, rather like a wooden garage. I would imagine a carport is the same. It used to be that it could not be more than 1/5th of the size of the plot. As has been suggested just clear it IN WRITING before you do it. I have seen too many progs on telly where someone was supposedly told verbally by the Council and they have then denied it was said. You wouldn't want to have to take it down again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts