Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fancy getting a plasma cutter there is so many to choose rom that it gets very confusing for an old bloke (especialy one who is attached to my grinder) I was looking at a cut 40 with a 2 year warenty for about 325.00 has anyone got one, what are they like any advice would be appreciated, on fleabay they seem to range from £200 to £400 all forcut 40s the only dif I can see is the coluor of the machine
thanks for the help
george

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
My mate has just bought a Cut40. They're good machines and do what they're meant to. Make sure you tune it with the air pressure from the compressor to get the best cut :tup:
The only downside to it in my opinion is that it only has a HF start and not a pilot arc. Basically it means you have to pull the trigger and then close the gap between the torch and the steel to get a spark start. This means that you need exposed metal to start the cutting. Doesn't always work well with rusty stuff and won't start with paint/underseal.

A Plasma with a pilot arc auto starts when you hit the trigger so you don't have to create the circuit on clean metal. You can use the pilot arc to burn through the paint/underseal and it then completes the circuit once it gets to the metal.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,276 Posts
I fancy getting a plasma cutter there is so many to choose rom that it gets very confusing for an old bloke (especialy one who is attached to my grinder) I was looking at a cut 40 with a 2 year warenty for about 325.00 has anyone got one, what are they like any advice would be appreciated, on fleabay they seem to range from £200 to £400 all forcut 40s the only dif I can see is the coluor of the machine
thanks for the help
george
NOW you decide to buy one ! LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah i got one off e bay about 18 months ago and its a cut 40. I paid about £240 and £20 postage from germany. I think they all originate in china and then are bought in bulk and companys paint and put there logo on. As you say they all look alike apart from colour. Got to say for the money they are an excellent bit of kit. It flys through body panels and will cut up to half inch plate ( yes i tried it coz the manual said it would). I use it for cutting up old Land Rover chassis and i cant fault it.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I brought a Tig / arc / plasma cutter from e bay made in china , but sold over here with a warranty and they carry all the spares . I think it was about £350 never had a problem with it . I will look for the name later when I go down the yard for you.
Darren

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the help, yes kev I was in qa again last week with yet another bit of cortina in my eye not even a bit of devon that would be worth it, it would be chaper not to buy rusty cars LOL, looks like a cut40 it is then
George

1 - 7 of 7 Posts