Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some material but don't know what it is so need a lead please. It's like millboard used in trimming cars but more of a plastic material . Thin, probably 1-2, thick and able to be formed into a circle without breaking ? Any clues please?

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for your input . Thanks Shaun but definitely not Foamex , got samples of that for another project . I used to know the trade name for the product I'm after but it is really eluding my poor brain at the mo :(

Think I'm going to have to go with a more conventional acylic sheet but will need to spend more time forming it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Its not Phenolic board is it?
The type of stuff used to line the bottom of modern day trailers?
Most of it is Phenolic faced Ply but you can buy it solid phenolic that isn't affected by moisture.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, not phenolic either, used to that from my commercial vehicle days , nor is it Tufnol . It looks just like Millboard, used in footwell kickpanels in bottom end 50's /60s motors but is some form of plastic. At teh back of my mind I'm thinking it's something to do with the packing industry but can't think how they would use it?

·
In-between 1932 & 1951
333 Posts
Kev,

Back in my days of car trimming, used a product called fibre board ? similar to millboard but it had a plastic coating on one side no idea if its still available? had you thought of using soft top window material Vy-bak (spell check ??) or side screen window cobex , depends what you are using it for??

D,T

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
kev, you probably know this one anyway, I have used it in the past too, it works, find a nice soft porous type of card, make what you want and either use spray varnish, PVA, polyester resin, or even 2 pack give at a coat, let it set, and you can end up with some very complicated, ridged parts that are waterproof,

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Don't know what your fabricating Kev but a Thermoplastic tile is about 2mm thick, quite brittle when cold but warm it up a bit and you can cut into any shape you like, thats if the circle you want to cut isn't bigger than tile size. :tup:
..Nige..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.