Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my steering box is worn, I have adjusted the box but I can't seem to take the play out at the wheel.

Does anyone know of anywhere I can get new/recon steering box?

Thanks

Jay.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
worth having a deek at the tie rod ends as iv just had this with my 55 chevy truck and i thought the steering box was iffy but after sorting the tie rod ends it was fine

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The play is at the steering wheel end tho, before there is any resistance/movement of the steering box. That's why I say box rather than tie rod ends?

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
OK thats why i said it was worth having a look at them ..the symtoms on mine where just as you described and i adjusted the box and still had a lot of play at the wheel which i thought was strange and it turned out that all the play was in the tie rod ends but untill i had somebody sat in the cab and moving the wheel back and forward i could see that the box was doing its job and was actually moving the tie rod nicely but the slop in the ends was giving the impression that the box was bad and i was dead chuffed i hadnt spent a ton of cash on a new box .. just trying to be helpful

·
Registered
164 Posts
I bought a remanufactured one from Lares, buy through Rockauto and it cost near £200.
Has it been clipped or do you have original steering box?

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
When having my 57 chevy car box done found to be the same as jeep ,strip box and check bearings they can be changed what normally wears is just in the centre part so be careful as if turning to full lock it can jam.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i also have a small amount of play in mine
can you please tell me how you tried to adjust the play
thanks
I adjusted the worm bearing via the adjuster at the front of the box.
The truck was on a ramp then jacked up so there was no weight on the wheels.
I have not adjusted the lash adjuster as per the manual as the exhaust manifold was in the way.

I've not had chance since to have another look at it yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts