Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my brother has announced he is getting married on the 30th august next month, I am to be his best man. I would love to be able to get him to the register office in nottingham in style! I have trawled the internet trying to find something really special for this journey! Some of the cars I've found are going to cost a fortune and with a toddler and another baby on the way my finances just don't extend that far. Can anyone help me out please? I am not looking for a freebie as I am prepared to pay for your time and fuel. It will be pick up from beechdale nottingham to the register office in Bingham nottingham and to take myself, my brother and my 12yr old nephew for about 3.30pm. If anyone can help I would be really grateful! Thank you in advance. Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you to cc41memorylane for the initial offer, its a shame you are on holiday at the time of the wedding. It is a nice car you have.

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
This sort of request seems to come up on a regular basis. Maybe it's time for a section dedicated to cars for hire/proms/weddings

If nothing else it will give Darren something to do.............he's been slacking lately :incheek:

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
thanks russ

there are many implications here guys
for example
the car needs to have hire and reward insurance to be legal
the driver also needs the correct licence
also i think the driver needs to be registered with the council
and so on

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with what you are saying about the insurance but I thought that was if you was a private hire taxi?

·
American Truck importer
11,742 Posts
you don't need private hire insurance for weddings, nor does the driver need a private hire licence and neither car nor driver need to be licensed by the council. Weddings and funerals are the ONLY exceptions to those rules, but you must still have wedding insurance with public liability.
Thats why we CHARGE for wedding hires, and not just fuel and a bit of time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I see too many people coming on here as newbies and all they are looking for is a freebie or a cheap hire, then no other input to the forum.
As a legitimate business both for wedding hires and vehicle imports, I also have overheads and various other costs, as well as the fact that I need to make a wage and profit isn't a drty word either. For most people who are employed, you go to work for a wage and your employer has to make a profit to pay those wages and keep his business going. I wonder if some of the people who come on looking for a freebie or a cheapie would do their job free or cheap! Not a rant folks, just pointing something out here.
Once you been on here a while and made acquaintances and maybe given some input to the forum, then maybe just maybe favours could be asked, but recently there have been too many newbies whose first posts are of this nature, especially with proms, which DO require private hire licences for both vehicle and driver, etc etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree that a legitimate business has overheads, but that doesn't explain why they want £200 to £300 to make a 20 minute journey. Personally that's a weeks wages to me and after I've paid my bills and food nappies, it doesn't leave a lot left to save up for such a journey and my brother giving me 8 weeks notice doesn't help.
And to answer your question I have done a lot of work for free helping others out. For instance the other day when an old lady had broken down at the side of the road. Out of all the people that just drove past without a care I was the only one to stop and see if I could help her. In the end I was with her for an hour trying to get her car going again. Did I ask for money? No I did not I did it out of Christian charity and the thought of what if that was my mother or granny. I always cut my next door neighbours grass and I go back to where I used to live to cut my old neighbours grass for them also. As they are both too old to do it themselves anymore. Do I ask for money? No I do not I do it to help others out.
So yeah I came on here to see if someone had any time to help me out, like I said originally I'm not looking for a freebie, but can't t afford LEGITIMATE businesses fees.

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
Look at it this way. Most of pur vehicles are very thirsty so a 20 min drive then the drive to get to yours and back to the drivers home if prob £25 + in fuel then you would want the vehicle cleaned so there is a couple of hours
So already you are looking 3-4 hours time + fuel. Now £200 does not sound to bad with insurance
As above you are asking someone you don't know to do a back hander to help you out
How do we know you are not a tax man or from vosa

Sorry mate but it's very un likely anyone here will do what you are asking

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I understand that but like I said originally I'm not looking for a freebie, I am willing to pay for time and fuel, just wanted something special for my little brother. Thanks anyway.

·
American Truck importer
11,742 Posts
I understand that but like I said originally I'm not looking for a freebie, I am willing to pay for time and fuel, just wanted something special for my little brother. Thanks anyway.
I should point out that my comments were not just aimed at this OP, but at the general trend we've seen lately of people coming on here for no other reason than to get the favour done, either free or cheap. Also, if you notice, I did actually give the legal position very clearly so if somebody was willing to help out, they know they can actually do it and not fall foul of vosa or councils, etc.
As for cutting your neighbour's grass etc, nothing to do with this, as I too have done many many favours and have hardly ever asked one of anybody! I give my time freely in many places/times including this forum.
A local wedding up here is nearer the £300 and I'm £100 cheaper than another business who does weddings and only weddings full time, so i guess what they ask is what we should all be asking. As Darren said above, cars need to be cleaned, the day set aside, yes the day, as no weddings are ever at 7am and for only 20 mins where the rest of the day is free!!! When you run an old car like mine and do wedding hire, IF you are customer orientated and proud of not letting people down, then you LOSE the use of the car for personal use in case it breaks down. I would hate myself if I let a bride down on her big day. When you're hiring a '57 Chevy, you are hiring it as something special and with no backup around like, say, if it was a silver or white Rolls or something more commonly available, then the bride is let down if the car breaks. I tell all my hirers that it's an old car and can break and to be aware of that fact, BUT I would hate for it to actually happen. Therefore, you also can't take bookings for every week, 'cause if it does break, you can then ruin multiple weddings, so, there is a limit to how many per year you can do in an old car, and if that car is used exclusively for weddings, it has to be paid for. Not trying to do anything here other than show where the costs come from, and unfortunately, if you're on low earnings, that is not the fault of the wedding hire company, their costs don't get lower becasue the hirers wages are low. If I was still driving petrol tankers on the Shell contract, I don't know what a Saturday would pay now, but when I left 3 1/2 years ago, a Saturday or Sunday overtime was £262.50, so, better not to bother with the weddings in that case..... And people working in the refinery up here were on £500 per day if it was an overtime shift....not so now, that's been curtailed. I don't earn anything like that nowadays, but with the amount of new BMWs, Mercs, etc I see on the roads, then clearly a lot of people are making good money. Personally, as a business, I have no regular income, hence why I drive tankers part time, and my missus is on basic minimum wage. So matey, that £300 I take for a wedding may well be my total earnings for that week with overheads, fuel, wages etc all to be taken from that pot........................
to finish, I am not doing weddings after this season, because for the sake of a handful of weddings, I haven't been able to go to runs, shows or use the cars as I like to use them, so for next year I'll be heading south to several events. I'm sick at the fact that i can't go to the '57 Chevy bash at Shaky, but I have my last wedding the week after, so I wont take the risk.

·
Registered
786 Posts
... don't forget to budget in a good wash/polish and valet- add on some ribbons and the time for all the checking ( as noted above) to ensure reliability, I've done a few weddings, always for zero money-and the stress, anxiety and pressure 'not to ruin the day' is immense.

Did one once for a favour owed and agreed- the favour was never returned and was threatened with legal action to stop chasing the favour (after one email!)... yes these people were known to me (enjoy the wedding photo's when you look at them-eh?) !!!!

Last wedding I did I was working through some up-dates on the car that didn't go to plan... car was ready to go at 21.00hrs the night before I was to collect the entourage at 10 am the next morning... never again! Although I hasten to add- I did offer the car and any of the pressure wasn't of my own making.

Just pointing out it isn't a five minute no cost unplanned job... everyone relies on the car to make the day- no car= missed wedding!

The reality of taking the responsibility on isn't like an impulsive Sunday afternoon jaunt...

Stick to the professionals... saw a wedding car being recovered on the M25 on Sunday, another was at the scene- presumably to take over and ensure the customer had the best day possible!

Just my opinion.... for what it's worth!

Rich

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
I agree that a legitimate business has overheads, but that doesn't explain why they want £200 to £300 to make a 20 minute journey. Personally that's a weeks wages to me and after I've paid my bills and food nappies, it doesn't leave a lot left to save up for such a journey and my brother giving me 8 weeks notice doesn't help.
And to answer your question I have done a lot of work for free helping others out. For instance the other day when an old lady had broken down at the side of the road. Out of all the people that just drove past without a care I was the only one to stop and see if I could help her. In the end I was with her for an hour trying to get her car going again. Did I ask for money? No I did not I did it out of Christian charity and the thought of what if that was my mother or granny. I always cut my next door neighbours grass and I go back to where I used to live to cut my old neighbours grass for them also. As they are both too old to do it themselves anymore. Do I ask for money? No I do not I do it to help others out.
So yeah I came on here to see if someone had any time to help me out, like I said originally I'm not looking for a freebie, but can't t afford LEGITIMATE businesses fees.
You need to go back and read what jimmy wrote.

No ones asking for you're good deads for the week.quite frankly were not interested.what he wrote was youve come here on the ponce.there is not another way to put it.

He said you, like so many other are only after something for yourself or someone you know.you have put nothing into this forum and im fairly confident that if you do

Manage to blag a cheap ride you wont be back to contribute afterwards.

Maybe time to man up and have a good look at youre life.you gotta be asking why you only earn 200 a week.is that enough to bring up a child.did you think off that befor knocking one out.what sort of future does that child have, having you as its dad.

you cant afford to pay for a legitimate car and moan about the costs.do you take into account that you may be their only job for the day.

Maybe time to ask else where, as i cant be the only one who,s all outa sympathy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not asking for sympathy or anything of the sort! Its nice to know that you judge people by how much they earn and not by who they are or what they do! I came on here asking if anybody could help not to get abuse off members.

·
Who promised you tomorrow
2,579 Posts
"Maybe time to man up and have a good look at youre life.you gotta be asking why you only earn 200 a week.is that enough to bring up a child.did you think off that befor knocking one out.what sort of future does that child have, having you as its dad"

Is there really any reason to speak to someone like that and nice to see a mod that's "loving it". Pathetic :shake:

Sig4sig I hope you sort something out either way and that your family and friends have a very special day.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts