Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, I replace the upper and lower A arm bushes on our 56 Bel air. However they work loose and eventually the rear bolt falls off. This has happened 3 times, one on the top and twice on the bottom. The only fortunate part is the last two times have been local to home, and we've heard it clatter into the gutter, and retrieved it.
There seems to be a design flaw, that i dont remember from the origional ones. The bolt, lock washer and cup is actually tightened onto the Bush, not metal sleeve. The bush moves with the A arm which eventually winds the bolt out. - Stupid !!
I've googled this as i assumed others would have had a similar problem.. but not found any refference.... so if anyone has any comments, or suggetions i'd be greatful ..
Thanks
Tark

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Paul : Lock tight doesnt seem to have much effect. Although not tried greasing the washer, thanks for suggestions.

Stueee: These are bolts not nuts unfortunatly. Other wise, yes locking nuts would be a good solution.

Thanks both for getting back to me.

It does seem odd that i'd be alone in having this problem.. i dont think i'm doing anything stupid. torqued up to correct setting ect..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi,

I would say that the inner sleeve isn't long enough. The sleeve needs to be slightly longer than the poly bush assy. The bolt / washer should tighten to the inner sleeve, and not the poly bush.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

I would say that the inner sleeve isn't long enough. The sleeve needs to be slightly longer than the poly bush assy. The bolt / washer should tighten to the inner sleeve, and not the poly bush.
Yep thats what i reconed. I guess a Chevy person maybe able to tell me if this is a common problem.

I'll try the suggestion form Nobody above :)

Cheers

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,742 Posts
I've never heard of anybody experiencing it until earlier this year when it happened to Neil G on here with his 55. That was with the stock style rubber bush. Did you tighten the bolts with the car on the ground Tark?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes Steve, tightened both up and when down on the ground. In fact I check them pretty regularly. It's a weird one, when tested they're always friggin tight. Lol
I'm going to try all suggestions - thanks chaps !

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hi I had two bolts loose on the 55 when I first put her on the road, luckly I was checking it regular as it had had a total build ,dont know if it was caused by the same thing as yours, but not come loose again since a full check and retighten ,an now heading for 3years on the road. cheers DAVE

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had a similar problem on a poly bush on a different car.
The washer was too flat and was pushing hard on a large area of the poly bush and the washer was rotating as the suspension moved.
The cure was to fit dished washers so that only the centre of the washer pushed hard on the poly surface.
I modified/dished the washer by placing it on a large socket and bashed it in the centre with a small socket and hammer.
The slightist dish will do the trick.

Denis

1 - 13 of 13 Posts