Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On way home from Supernats, on A1 southbound, saw aftermath of accident, Pop looked like it had crashed and caught fire. Ambulance and Police there, hope no serious injuries.
I think it was light blue and cream, I had been admiring it earlier.

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Anyone know the owner? Hope he's ok

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He was driving a hot Rod therefore we assume he was driving like a maniac and deliberately crashed.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
It was a dry road, the water is from the fire engines.

To break loose the rear wheels at 60mph in ANY car demands an awful lot of horsepower, to which most of us can only dream of. No disrespect to the car involved but I doubt it had the power to be able to do that.
Far more likely something broke and this caused the car to veer off.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,348 Posts
It was a dry road, the water is from the fire engines.

To break loose the rear wheels at 60mph in ANY car demands an awful lot of horsepower, to which most of us can only dream of. No disrespect to the car involved but I doubt it had the power to be able to do that.
Far more likely something broke and this caused the car to veer off.

I don't know about big horsepower ...I could chirp my crossplies on every shift with my 1300GT powered 100E! LOL

·
Registered
1952 Chevrolet 3100
408 Posts
A lightweight pop that could easily have 5-600hp? maybe lost control, maybe not.

the problem these days is that everyone has a camera and likes to share and discuss other peoples incidents.

·
Stroker
5,562 Posts
Modern cars are frequently in the news for going ablaze.

Irrespective of how it happened a lot of petrol burning is pretty frigging intense so glad they got away but may have flashbacks.
When my car went up in flames I had a real big awakening as the intense heat beat me back from opening the bonnet. Yeah, I thought I could put out a full on fire with a Halfrauds extinguisher. When I stood back I was happy to let the fucker burn, very scared stuff.

Reactions: Davey3

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
John Gumble has seen footage from a lorry dashcam that filmed the incident. Turns out we were all wrong.

The car comes by the truck on the outside lane on a very wet road. As it passes the back end comes loose. The car spins into the near side barrier then after impact the fire starts. I would say it aquaplaned.

·
Registered
950 Posts
John Gumble has seen footage from a lorry dashcam that filmed the incident. Turns out we were all wrong.

The car comes by the truck on the outside lane on a very wet road. As it passes the back end comes loose. The car spins into the near side barrier then after impact the fire starts. I would say it aquaplaned.

In a way I think we should be able to watch that dashcam film, as a warning to us all how easy things can go quickly wrong. In the 70's when I was an apperatice we were shown some films of things going wrong in the engineeering world that I was entering. Those images have stayed with me to this day, nearly 50 years later. However I could have been told those things or read it many times, it would never have stuck with me in the way that seeing it ever did. Just a thought.

·
richard rawlplug
8,162 Posts
Grinding wheels exploding,hair trapped in a pillar drill...remember then all....:oops:

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,748 Posts
In a way I think we should be able to watch that dashcam film, as a warning to us all how easy things can go quickly wrong. In the 70's when I was an apperatice we were shown some films of things going wrong in the engineeering world that I was entering. Those images have stayed with me to this day, nearly 50 years later. However I could have been told those things or read it many times, it would never have stuck with me in the way that seeing it ever did. Just a thought.
We probably had the same lecture. Ours was in a hotel in London. Had people walking out being sick with hands over eyes. Never forgotten the images.

·
Stroker
5,562 Posts
I saw those films, does stay with you. The hand caught in a corrugated cardboard machine was shocking!!!

We've all probably seen how quick things can go bad at the track.

I've watched a lot of youtube nurburgring videos and so many with no warning let go, fishtail and sometimes roll - ALL heppens in just a second.

Us old school rwd fans have been brought up to watch for a twitchy rear but sometimes shit happens.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,348 Posts
Good point Jim , so many have had the misfortune to drive only FWD since passing their test and are there ore just used to occupying one of the front seats as opposed to driving .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts