Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to do a disc conversion on my Pop front axle, and I am going to use Spitfire discs and hubs, which I have already. I know you need to make a spacer, and also swap the bearings about a bit (Triumph bearings on the outside I beleive). Has anyone here done a Pop to Triumph disc conversion before? I need some spacers, as I haven't got or have any access to a lathe, so I was wondering if anyone has any spares. I hear that you need to make the mounting plates for the Triumph calipers out of 10mm steel first, so you can get the length of the spacer right and have it aligned the discs with the calipers correctly. Can someone give any pictures of the spacers or of any Triumph disc brake conversions on a Pop? That would be much appreicated.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is this OK? I know that the bottom bolts is facing in a diferant direction, than the other two top ones, but thats is just how it was when I took the picture, not how it will be. The bottom does make contact with the grease nipple, so I have to think of a a way of fixing that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
triumph/pop discs

you do not need a spacer if you use pop inner bearings triumph discs bolt straight on use 5mm plate for caliper mounts, space caliper off mounting plate with some thickwall tube tapped to suit caliper bolts wich will be welded to plates incidently HA/HB viva FD victor discs also bolt straight on probably chevette as well ,if youre not sure about your work dont do it, let someone who knows do it

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,100 Posts
Actually, in my hands on experience , you do ;) Without the spacer you run out of thread to tighten down the nut plus you need something to prevent the grease coming out the rear of the hub as the built in bearing on the Pop hub won't do this. Nor would I go as small as 5mm to make brake caliper mounts with all the rotational load they take , minimum of 9mm for me thanks,preetty much like the size of OEM mounts.:tup: .Plus that size allows you to tap the brackets to take the bolts rather than having to nut and bolt.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,100 Posts
Stroprock, you may need to fit the caliper mount bracket the other side of the axle with , as above, the holes drilled and tapped to suit it would mean no spacers needed on the bolts as it would bolt flat against the stub. It would also solve the grease nipple problem.

On the last conversion I did we made a circular plate that bolted against the stub ( disc side) ,looked neat against the inner of the wheel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts