Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My drag racing cherry that is. :D

After years of watching from the stands I finally got around to actually racing today. Went to the RWYB at Shakey with Alistair (also a virgin) with his Lexus LS400 (I think) and we both had a blast. It wasn't too busy so we got plenty of runs in with very little queueing.

First run was against a turbod up, stripped out Scooby. I must say I was pooing my pants a bit as it was my first time and I wasn't sure what to expect. I also wasn't sure how the Mustang would cope as I've never taken it above about 75mph before!

Away from the lights and I gave it the beans and wheelspun through 1st and into 2nd. At about 3/4 of the way down the track I panicked a bit and backed off. Scooby man was long gone anyhow!

I was a bit more confident on the 2nd run and I was paired against a Chrysler Crossfire thing. Still wheelspinning but the Chrysler and I were fairly evenly matched. She (for 'twas a lady) started to pull in front and the red mist descended. I kept in it and pulled round her for the win.* Hooray!

Next run things didn't look too promising as I was next to that big block Sunbeam Stiletto drag car! Still, I kept telling myself "it's only an Imp, how fast can it be?". The answer? - Bloody fast! I tried shifting into 5th on this run as I'd run out of revs in 4th towards the traps but this slowed me down.

A few more runs against everything from a standard 5 door Corsa, through various Japanese turbo things to a '90s Chevy Caprice wagon and I decided to call it a day. Struggling to control the urge to floor it I was still spinning up through 1st and 2nd. Maybe next time I'll pull off a bit steadier and boot it when I get some momentum.

Still, an enjoyable day and I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it.
Maybe an idea for a R&S jolly next year?

*Bugger. Just checked my slips again and the Chrysler beat me!
Mine was the quicker e.t. but I must have fell asleep at the lights!

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,721 Posts
Well done Lee

Ive always thought about it but have never run the thing that worries me the most is having a spill or somthing and ruinning it for eveyone else (thats me all over putting every one first)

Come to think of it id have to be in the right lane as well ..............I always give way to the traffic from the right

Was there any times ????

·
richard rawlplug
8,232 Posts
well done mate,next stop top fuel?????
:tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well done. Your 60' time must be quite slow as I'm running 13.5 @ 96 with a 60' of 1.7
60's were round about 2.5.

did the runs feel faster than the e.t's? it did for me when i was running my dads car at the drags a couple of years ago.
Not really, I was pleasantly surprised at being in the 14s. I was expecting (hoping) to be mid/high 15s. The car did feel fast though.

·
Sheep Shagger
858 Posts
It's a great feeling isn't it.
Wish I'd never left it so long till I had a go earlier this year.

So what's the plan over the Winter ?
Nice set of tall slicks, traction bars, fiberglass body parts, couple of go faster goodies ??????
It's very addictive :D

·
I'm a grown up drunk!
2,678 Posts
going on the 60' and the mph through the top,
after sorting the traction issues you should see those times drop to the low 14s, maybe a high 13?

now that you've had your first passes on the 1/4,
you can now relate to when someone says they've got a 12, 14, 16second car,

suppose you'll be looking on the calender for when the next meet is:tup:

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So what's the plan over the Winter ?
Nice set of tall slicks, traction bars, fiberglass body parts, couple of go faster goodies ??????
It's very addictive :D
No, I'm not the competitive type. Maybe some taller tyres. Perhaps a line lock. Possibly a race seat and harness. I could really do with a shift light. A quick shift would be nice. Just a tiny sniff of gas. Bigger injectors. A huge blower. Full frame. Wheelie bars. Aaaaaaagh! :evil:

now that you've had your first passes on the 1/4,
you can now relate to when someone says they've got a 12, 14, 16second car,
You're right there, that Imp brought it all home. He was nearly on the return road while I was at the 60'.

You need a high level brake light in your boot spoiler and some blue neons on your washer jets, that'll up your top speed. Were you listening to Radio 4 at the same time?
No I was trying to tune it in. The reception's crap at Shakey!

·
richard rawlplug
8,232 Posts
i have a spare shift light if you want it..........

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.