Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been to see my local metal stockists today to pick up some metal.

They have just started doing shotblasting and powder coating.

I spoke to them about my 32 chasis and they reckon to shot blast and powder coat my chassis will be about £100 all in even with a choice of colour in powder coating.

Does that sound a good deal or what?

Can any see any downfalls in having my chassis powdercoated?

·
Enthusiastic Amateur
757 Posts
I paid £75 for my 34 ford chassis (and they picked it up and dropped it back off! - go figure!)
I did'nt go for powder though. I took the guys recommendation and went for acid etch then a sealer over the top.
I think Langy has posted a few replies on this as he swears by Epoxy.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
One of the problems with powder coating is if you get any damage at all you can't blow it in like you can with paint , also if it gets a small chip or crack that you don't notice moisture will get underneath and it'll fail .

....just noticed that's two problems :incheek:

·
Registered
195 Posts
It chips easily, and if the powder coater doesn't get a good coat everywhere, the moisture creeps underneath and lifts the finish, you may not spot it till it's too late. I had a couple of running boards done, they were then covered in their rubber mat. 2 years later, summer driving only, they were toast. The edge was thin, moisture got in, and the only things holding them together where the rubber covers. Certain items are fine, but i personally wouldn't get a chassis done, too many edges and hard to reach bits.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks i think i will just get them to shot blast it then and just get my radius rods,hairpins,engine gearbox mounts powdered coated then.

still its a shame cause it was a good price and it would have looked nice to start with.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've had a few chassis/bike frames/subframes powder coated when i used to work for a powdercoater never had any problems if it's done properly it better than anything else i've found and if it chips which takes some doing you can just touch it in with most paints..

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'd look into it a bit more before ruling it out.

All the reasons above always put me off getting frames powder coated in past.

Been told that good experienced powder coating places have new products that make the coating more rubbery and less brittle which eliminates most of the problems of chippin and allowing water to penetrate behind it.

·
Banned
489 Posts
I find its ok for small bits but i wouldn't do a chassis in it plus its a bitch to get off again. On something like a 32 where the chassis is on display you would want a perfect colour match with the paint.

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
i had my chasise powder coated its been on 10years and it still excellent, i would not hesertate to get another one done, for £100 it would cost that in primer and paint as for chipping mines as tuff as old boot, just my opinion:tup:

·
Got salt
1,305 Posts
Yeah, me too. I got my Elky chassis done back in '94 by Vulcan blasting in Basildon.
Its been fine, no peeling or rust incursion despite having been none too gentle with the trolley-jack on many occasions.
Like anything else, its all about quality and using the right materials. If you go to a place that does general (non-automotive) work, chances are they'll be using Epoxy powder, which does indeed chip easily. Or Nylon which does lift and allowrust to creep underneath.
You need to be sure that they're using Polyester powder, and that they're properly blasting it first.
Use a reputable company who do car stuff - shouldn't need saying really, you wouldn't get your paint job done by a firm who spray fridges would you?

·
Registered
999 Posts
you wouldn't get your paint job done by a firm who spray fridges would you?
I would, if I wanted my car white :D :D

My mate has powder coated his last 3 chassis, and the 2 that are on the road still look good. As he did the powder coating, he most likely took more care.

The blasting cleaning of the chassis, along with the type of powder coating used are important factors. Ask if it will be Polyster, if not, ask how much extra for Polyester.

As mentioned, the down sides are that mositure will get underneath any cracks, chips and lift it off.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
some people for and some people against

now i cant make up my mind now

although langy brought up a good point about not being a exact match to body colour.

i think maybe paint my chassis in normal paint and get my suspension bits and little bits and pieces powder coated

Whats the best paint for chassis painting?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.