Rods 'n' Sods banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1972 Formula 350 owner
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everyone in our family loves old cars and this is the email that was sent to my mum:-

People from Broken Hill, Australia will remember from their younger days this Icon of the city. He used to go to all the public functions... especially the picture theatres. And always carried a sugar bag to collect empty Bottles and Cans.

His name was... Albert (Tapper) Torney Everyone thought he was a bit Eccentric and kids would tease and hassle him. But it was discovered he was Very Talented and only sold the empty bottles and some of the cans.

After he died in (1998 aged 86) His large collection of Model Cars he made from the Aluminum Cans was discovered. This goes to prove... "You Shouldn't Judge A Book by its Cover", or a Sculptor by his sugar bag.

My dad spotted revenge a mile away. Believe it was last being rebuilt abroad? Possibly france?

·
Super Moderator
7,387 Posts
WOW...... love the Heineken midget racer.

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Wow, that is some minute workmanship that has gone into those cars, so much detail, even down to the coil overs.... very impressive
RIP "Tapper"

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Fantastic and sad all at the same time, to me anyway. What I mean is, the kids teased him etc etc probably never knowing what fantastic cars he made which, in all probability they may have liked if they'd have seen them and then thought Tapper was 'cool' rather than whatever it is they actually thought of him. What a great talent he had though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts