Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am priming a car in a few months, and I wondered how long I can leave it before I have to put the topcoat/colour on? I've spent most of my budget on the bodywork and parts unfortunately and the paint's got to wait. I've seen cars in primer for ages at shows etc, could they be painted without much trouble or will they need to be reprepped? The car will be stored in a normal garage, unheated etc...Thanks.:tup:

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
When you buy the primer see if the company has any miss matched paint left over then blow that over it to seal it.

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,742 Posts
Metalflake UK at Chessington sell epoxy. You will need the Lechler Epoxy primer, hardener,thinners. Ratio of primer to hardener is 2:1. Thinners to suit. The price on their website is for untinted which comes likes water. You need to ask them to tint it to colour which gives you some body. Black is fine. They do a really good delivery service. Last batch we had here just before Christmas was an hour after ordering!

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Metalflake UK at Chessington sell epoxy. You will need the Lechler Epoxy primer, hardener,thinners. Ratio of primer to hardener is 2:1. Thinners to suit. The price on their website is for untinted which comes likes water. You need to ask them to tint it to colour which gives you some body. Black is fine. They do a really good delivery service. Last batch we had here just before Christmas was an hour after ordering!
Cheers mate, that's really helpful, I'll give them a buzz. :tup:

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
Epoxy primer is porous!! but to a much lesser extent than ordinary 2K primers. I had a few projects that needed to be protected from the elements in the workshop & contacted almost all of the paint manufacturers to ask what they would recommend as a weather proof primer. Without exception, they all said that epoxy was NOT totally weatherproof & couldn't give any guarantee against moisture contamination in the primer. In the end I primed up the cars in epoxy, followed by 2K hi Build primer & then a coat of top coat colour over the top. I then used the colour as a guide coat hth

cheers..Nige

·
Administrator
9,854 Posts
As we discussed before Nige, you are technically correct, they will cover their asses and say its not porous as technically it isn't.

But in the real world it is waterproof enough for short to medium term use. It's 1000% better than any other primer.
One thing to note though it's not UV proof, so will degrade in sunlight over time.

It's always ideal to add a topcoat (even if its a single coat) to weatherproof any paintjob though.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
At the end of the day if you are going to eventually put top coat on I do not recommend that you run around in primer you will likely encounter problems in the long run and would have wasted the money that you will spend on the top coat.
If you are going to top coat the car do it properly.
If you like the primer look and finish as some do that's another matter.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
trying to get epoxy primer around here is like you have suddenly started speaking martian or something,none of the local paint suppliers have got a clue what you are on about

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again guys. I'm not going to use the car until it has topcoat on as I'm painting the engine bay the car colour and the lump's out at the mo.
I'm inclined to prime it now and put a temporary topcoat on to seal it and then add the finished coats as and when . If I'm going for say metallic blue, do I need to put a metallic blue coat on to seal the car or could I just use a similar coloured flat blue (i.e non-metallic) Appreciate your wisdom!!! :rule:

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Thanks again guys. I'm not going to use the car until it has topcoat on as I'm painting the engine bay the car colour and the lump's out at the mo.
I'm inclined to prime it now and put a temporary topcoat on to seal it and then add the finished coats as and when . If I'm going for say metallic blue, do I need to put a metallic blue coat on to seal the car or could I just use a similar coloured flat blue (i.e non-metallic) Appreciate your wisdom!!! :rule:
doesn't have to be the same but would make sense to go for something that covers easy and contrasts with the proper top coat so you can see where you've painted, silver or white under metallic blue would be OK.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts