Rods 'n' Sods banner

1 - 20 of 781 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some - older- people on here will know, I built a BGT in 1988/89 and raced it in the Street Machine and Custom Car Rover V8 Challenge for 5 years. I then sold it to Bob and Ollie Owen who raced it in 1994 and again in 1996. Since then it has disappeared..........
I found that I missed the car and so if I cannot buy it back - I will make a new version instead!
So I am now going to steadily acquire the bits needed and will post up progress as and when.
(I have another project car (Alfa Romeo Sprint) that needs completing and selling though before I can really start on the BGT fabrication.)
Here are some pics of the original car.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
And this is the start of the new build.....

The plan is to make the new chassis a bit lighter and more sophisticated, the body will have a steel outline and roof but with fibreglass doors and tailgate to make it around 1600 lbs (- the original was 1800lbs as there was a minimum wieight of 1650 in Pro Rover.) I will be using a reasonable RV8 ideally 4.2 or 4.5 rather than the 3.5 of the original. (But if anyone has a nice alloy block SBC to fit later on....)
I shall use it as a RWYB warrior and garage candy rather than full on modern spec racing.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the positive responses - I've been drawing up some rough ideas for the chassis and it will need about 60 foot (20m) of round tube and 40 foot (13m) of square box section.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Hi Phil, if you need a hand pushing it down the lanes gimme a shout, in fact if you want some CDS gimme a shout too...!!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks for the positive responses - I've been drawing up some rough ideas for the chassis and it will need about 60 foot (20m) of round tube and 40 foot (13m) of square box section.
I know you say that you only plan on RWYB but have you considered building to an SFI spec either 'just in case' or to help with any resale in the distant future?

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for both offers - I may well take you up on them ........ but not quite yet:tup:

Jamie son of old Dave
--- Re SFI, I did, briefly, consider making it to suit modern spec, but I really want a recreation of my original car and to go modern would not satisfy that desire. Also I do not want the hassle of full on drag racing- Somebody else can do that........., RWYB suits my relaxed (= retired!!!) lifestyle.:D

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Despite saying this is a long term build - I've now got a 5 speed gearbox with the short LDV gear lever housing. It is from an LDV and it will need a V8 bellhousing - but is it a different length input shaft?

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now acquired a steering column, but been doing a fair bit of running around trying to source other parts - hopefully good news soon.......

·
Full Bloody Rebel!
3,426 Posts
And this is the start of the new build.....

The plan is to make the new chassis a bit lighter and more sophisticated, the body will have a steel outline and roof but with fibreglass doors and tailgate to make it around 1600 lbs (- the original was 1800lbs as there was a minimum wieight of 1650 in Pro Rover.) I will be using a reasonable RV8 ideally 4.2 or 4.5 rather than the 3.5 of the original. (But if anyone has a nice alloy block SBC to fit later on....)
I shall use it as a RWYB warrior and garage candy rather than full on modern spec racing.
Being done on a wing and a prayer then??

GOod luck with it and I'll be following with interest!

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Deposit paid on Bodyshell and front cross member - I hope to pick them up in 12 days. So much for this being done slowly it seems..........:shake:

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE!!!
"Super B" still Exists!!
I was very pleased to receive an e mail recently from Bob Owen, who had just found RnS. He still has the B tucked up in a corner of his garage. He had fitted a potent 4.6 litre Rover and had plans for even more power! However the rule changes and demise of the Pro Rover class meant that the car never really raced again. It did run in the low 11's at a couple of meetings in the late 1990's.

So where does that leave this project? It seems a bit pointless to recreate a car that still exists, so after considering all the options I am going to ............
............................ "Pro Street" a BGT.

It will still be Rover powered and tube chassied but a bit more "Show" than "Go".
Please feel free to post comments on this change of direction as I will need ideas!

1 - 20 of 781 Posts