Rods 'n' Sods banner

41 - 60 of 781 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just found this Phil.. Well done mate. It will be nice to have you and a GT back on track. We can play together at RWYB's :)

2 GT's side by side will make for some very good pictures and video's in the future eh ?

This is going to be a great build I'm sure.

Regards
Perry

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm looking forward to it Pel! What are your plans this year? I will be running the Sprite at a couple of RWYB meetings whilst the BGT is being made.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm hoping to have the engine block back in next week sometime. I had a water leak that was pressurising the cooling system. Turned out to be a hair line crack just where I didnt want one :)

To get it welded I had to remove 2 liners. So I thought I might as well bite the bullet and have top hat liners fitted. Dave Knight at Knight Engine Services is pulling out all the stops to get me back on track asap as I've missed a lot of points rounds in the rwyb challenge so far.

I'm doing all 3 days of rwyb this weekend, but as pit bitch for my mates new slingshot and for some other mats in their "alternative energy" cars on Monday.

Then its 4 evenings to do a complete rebuild and put it all back together so i can go and play at North Weald on Sunday 12th for shakedowns. Its an annoying setback, but the new Rover V8 engine was making good progress prior to this problem. I havent run it in anger yet, but it showed good numbers on the dyno at the start of this year. No nitrous, but 6psi of boost and she made 402hp with 500 ft/lbs. Not quite the torque I am used to on nitrous, but I need to learn how to use the boost properly before that gets turned back on.
Luckily the water leak showed itself during a half pedal fuelling run while I was logging AFR. At least it went wrong while not pushing hard eh?
So I'll be back out with 12psi of boost and a bigger carb to see if I can get it set up right on boost alone. When the cylinder heads are maxxed out on boost, I'll knock the boost back by 25% and then start adding nitrous if I need it. If this thing runs a flat 10 on boost alone I'll be more than happy mate. If it doesnt then the nitrous will be added to make it happen :)

There is also a rumour that the car may even get some paint before the end of this season ?? My Son is asking his boss if he can paint it at his work for the cost of the paint if we advertise his company. Well! You have to try dont you ;)

Let me know when you are doing RWYB Phil. I've put all the rwyb's in my diary for this year as I missed out a lot last year with no engine.

regards
Pel

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Well I saw the "Super B" again and even managed to sit in it and relive a lot of old memories - so many thanks to Beario. It has been updated with a lot new equipment and the interior has been totally re-panelled so it has changed a lot and obviously has gone a lot faster - but there is much more to come with some serious strip time required.
I also was able to buy some parts for my Pro-Street BGT project whilst there - definitely a good evening!

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Finally had a couple of hours on the BGT. I got more cut off the front cross member, freed off both hubs and mounted a pair of rostyle wheels (Ex Super Sprite V8). Then I jacked up the front of the B and slid the cross member under - but it rests under the existing B Chassis rails (which will soon be removed together with the inner wings). Then I mocked in place the front (roadster) wings - which need trimming at the back to suit the GT scuttle.
Then I realised that I have a new look for the BGT - "Gasser" style!

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
Please don't. Give it 5 years and the sales ads will be awash with gassers that nobody wants and the rod shops full of motors having the front ends reworked. Loud and low, tubbed and purposeful.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Please don't. Give it 5 years and the sales ads will be awash with gassers that nobody wants and the rod shops full of motors having the front ends reworked. Loud and low, tubbed and purposeful.
Don't panic - Loud and low - and tubbed it will be........But I do play with odd ideas at times......:D

·
Premium Member
4,144 Posts
I might get an old land rover and fit a lift kit to the front and lowering block to the rear and try and sell it as a gasser. Do you think I'll get much interest? :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Just as an aside - the "Super B" was up for sale on E Bay and bid up to5,999 pounds but didn't make the reserve. It was relisted and bid to 4,600 pounds and again didn't make the reserve price.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Quick update as I have now ordered the fibre glass panels - Doors, bonnet, rear wings and Sebring rear valence. Hope to pick them up in a couple of weeks.

41 - 60 of 781 Posts