Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
101 - 120 of 174 Posts

·
0 to 60 in 3 weeks
348 Posts
after mopping up 2 gal of jizz reading this build ,this car has got to be the best mk2 ive seen this side of venus ,its even got its own portable sheep in the back ,top stuff mate my fav thread on here ,id leave my wife for a car like this . can wait to see the end product . wayne

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well done!
I just cant face going into my garage to look at the rusty piece of crap I just bought off ebay!!! Your workmanship is incredible and The look is almost what I want to acheive myself.
Where did you get the glass for the screen in the black and white photo and for the side windows? Also how did the mot go? any problems as I was reading somthing on the NSRA about issues getting mot'd after chopping the roof.

·
Stroker
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the kind comments!

I'm still slogging away, almost to the point of exhaustion :crazy: trying to get her ready for some shows this year!

Well done!
I just cant face going into my garage to look at the rusty piece of crap I just bought off ebay!!! Your workmanship is incredible and The look is almost what I want to acheive myself.
Where did you get the glass for the screen in the black and white photo and for the side windows? Also how did the mot go? any problems as I was reading somthing on the NSRA about issues getting mot'd after chopping the roof.
Hi,

back in the old days I just had an acrylic screen moulded at a 'speedboat' screen speciallst :roll:
Side windows just flat acrylic.

Nowadays it's all still possible just work to the legal requirements you may have to go through! :smoke:
As for the demon rust cut it all out! looks drastic but much easier in the long run.
When I revisited patch repairs done a while back it looked poop and took just as long so off they came!

cheers
KJ

·
Stroker
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Water proof

Hi,

after my little incident with the bottom rad hose blowing off I began to doubt the wisdom
of putting all my relays just inches away from the rad outlet :tdown:

I aint moving them so have made a little cover to protect them from bust hoses or funny
enough any water running down the inner wings on washday :lol:

Oh, they're under the windscreen washer bottle too! Should've taken heed of my mentor
Bill's CAT philosophy "Better by Design" :tup:

·
Stroker
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
First time ever V8 drive

Hi,

ok, well time to gird my loins and DRIVE the car to test the engine/box and brakes.

Dropped the car off the blocks and got her up to steam.

Nervous as hell as it's all untested, my drives got a backward slope and lots of neighbours are cops!

Christ the shifts are sharp so gently backed her up and all was well so shunted her back and forth till
I needed to lie down in a dark room.

Sheesh, dunno what I was worried about. I really must get out more! :pmsl:

·
Stroker
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 · (Edited)
Bonnet blues

Hi,

put the bonnet on and because the wiper motor is in the way of the inner bonnet support
springs I just used the outers.

Unfortunately after a few lifts they started pulling the hinges sideways enough to
scrape the inner wings :cry:

Had to take them off and will have to plunder a bonnet prop from breakers or use the same
bamboo stick I use for the boot lid :D

ALSO, flatted and polished the bonnet and there's a bloomin little blister appeared kinda like
the ones in my temples at the minute.

Not sure why it's waited so long to appear but I'll wait till the car's on the road and go back to it.
I'm sure there'll be other stuff to break out the spray gun for. :lol:

cheers
KJ

·
Stroker
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 · (Edited)
The Doors

Finally assembled the doors as much as poss and glued in some of the furry channel stuff.
Bolted them on with the metal backing plates inside to hopefully spread the load.
They were starting to get heavy, although nothing like a fully laden steel one! ;)

Was on me knees for two days with hands stuffed up the doors doing some fine tuning of the MR2
locks and stock mechanism.
Got hold of some M*ndeo window winders as they have that steady central extrusion that
clamps the glass (acrylic :D) in place.
The stock ones used that channel where the arm cranks along it as it goes up. First time round I used
that, but after a while they'd wind up all wobbly, as the pane is so wide and shallow it has very little
in the way of a straight edge to keep it true.
Anyhoo, the new channels inside the door hit the locks :shake: oops there went another day of taking/cutting it all to bits.

After all that, it all came off again to put the mirrors on :drunk:

It's panned out great though, and just like the ads, the doors clunk shut like a G*lf. :smoke:

·
Ian
535 Posts
Hi Jim,
I came across this thread the other day and read it over two days and then lost it on the site(DUH).Anyhow, bloody fantastic car and you're one hard workin' dude.I know you mentioned further back how you work at a snails pace, but that's why this is such a damn fine car as everybody's been sayin'.Well Done mate can't wait to see the finished article.
Spike:tup:

·
Stroker
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Got the back end finished off bar wiring up the lights and fitting reflectors. Will just mount them
under the valence.
Checked the MOT site and it doesn't mention height just that it needs one at each corner :smoke:
Painted over a chrome number plate light and flatted off the lense a smidge to diffuse the
light to a glow (hopefully) :lol:
May replace it later with a sexy opera light stylee lamp.
The plates on chrome bars. Idea was to clip on show plates etc and to free up the back panel
for either pinstriping/muriel or a script like 'Where were you in '82' on one side and
'The Chelsea Cruise' on t'other (work in progress :shake:).

Finished flatting/compounding the front wings and valence so got them on ok. Revisited the
bonnet and flatted off properly skirting around the little blemish and looks a lot betterer.

Must sort out a bonnet prop as the broom handle won't fit in the boot :pmsl:

Got some polished stainless bolts for the panels years ago from the Stainless guy at the
NASC Nats and they look 'kin awesome! :D

Fitted the lights and have got some chrome trims to go round the headlamps to tidy it up
but it's real tight so will leave that till after the MOT as they'll need adjusting methinks.

Got the lights from SVC and never realised how fab the indicator lenses are with the little fins on :smoke:
Almost perfect size for a straight swap from stockers.

cheers
KJ

·
Registered
116 Posts
3.15 in the morning, got to be up fopr work in 5 hours, but once I started reading this thread I had to carry on. Really, really impressed. Brilliant to see how you've worked it all out and all inside a single garage! Again, much respect and can't wait to see her finished.

·
Stroker
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Let there be light!

Hi,

thanks for the kind words! :D

Wired up the rear lights and made some little adjustable-ish rear reflector mounts.
The other bits are stabilisers for the bottom of front wings - stockers have them :lol:

Was kinda stuck for where to mount reflectors - the caddy lenses aint got any built in :S
Checked the MOT site and just says it needs one each side - no definite dimensions for postion etc.
Could go all Foose and blend some narrow ones into bumper, but that's a long way off.
I gotta get this sucker rolling!

·
Stroker
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Bonnet prop

It's only a small thing but the thought of a day in a breakers yard trying to find a bonnet prop that
came with all the bolty on bits did my head in.
As luck would have it I had an old beach windbreak which had some fab chrome tubes with
a very handy rubber tip on the end. Riveted 1 and a half sections together, made a little ali pivot thing drilled a little hole in the bonnet JD. :smoke:

Ended up fitting a full pcv system on the mill - all the playing about engine running inside
a garage was doing my eyes in with the emissions.

·
Stroker
5,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Grill and bear it - yawn

cheers Vince ! :tup:

I keep looking at the Events Calendar and hoping I make it for summat this year!

I'd already made a floating tube grill for the car 30 odd years ago :crazy: so thought I'd do the same again.
I got screwed over with chroming last time so just got some 3/4" chrome shower tubes from H*mebase.
I figure if they're produced for a damp environment they may last more than a season :pmsl:
Although I can't cap the ends off.

Bent the tubes up in small stages and it works well and only had one 'give' and crumple.
I got another tube and the bleeder did it again. You can't see the kink as it's behind so I aint buying another. Had to wait ages for their 10% off weekend so paying the full £9 each hurt. :shake:

Cut them to size and decided against riveting them straight onto the upright brackets so used tiny
brackets to rivet onto tubes then bolt onto uprights. You can pull and push em to tweak position.
I gave them a good coat of clear lacquer to protect em especially the cut and drilled bits.
Kinda given them a deeper sheen too :bigsmile:

As the tubes went on the ali rad was killing the effect so took em off and blew some black onto it :lol:

Hard to tell without being able to see from far back but may try an extra tube over the winter.

cheers
KJ

101 - 120 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.